Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 - Planned Rides - Post 'em Here!

Should have posted this a couple of months ago - better late than never, right??

The idea is to give folks an idea if you're blowing thru their neck of the woods during a trip - preferably a moto trip, of course...

The Death Valley trip is done, and posted elsewhere.

Coming up in mid-April is a 2-up trip I'm calling the "Mid-Atlantic Tour". A brief stop in TN, before quick stops in WV, VA, NC to see friends and family that live there before being back in TN. On the way back, a stop in the DFW area to see another family friend. The last big, long trip my wife and I did was three years ago.

After that...there may be a widow of opportunity opening in mid-August. Details on that epic ride shortly!

Okay, what about you?
    I'm planning at least a one-week motorcycle tour in 2018
    25.00%
    I'm planning at least 1 week-or-longer motorcycle tour in 2018
    35.00%
    I'm planning at least 2 week-long motorcycle tours in 2018
    30.00%
    No, no plans for a motorcycle tour in 2018
    10.00%

The poll is expired.

I will probably make 3 to 5 trips of 5 to 14 days length on motorcycle.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Mine will be more like 2-4 four day trips, unless the wife goes to Mesa and I go get her on the bike again.
      2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
      USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
      US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
      2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
      2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

Having the luxury of being retired and just having moved to Vancouver WA 2 months ago I plan to do lots of 2-3 day rides and maybe longer to explore the state. Rode through WA about 20 yrs ago but couldn't explore because I had to get back to work.
        When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
        Jimi Hendrix
        Vietnam Veteran, Patriot Guard Rider

My first road trip on my new 2018 DCT will probably be a short 700 mile (RT) ride to West Texas to see my brother. In May, I am laying out a return to Grand Canyon/Bryce/Arches and maybe even Yosemite. But, I can't do a long trip until a trailer hitch becomes available for the 2018.
        GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
        Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

• Rocky
          Rocky commented
          Editing a comment
          You shouldn't have to wait long for Bushtec to build them. Lewis (EC) said his new bike if there right now getting a hitch fitted!

GC/Bryce/Arches are great Nat/Parks to spend some time viewing.
          Yosemite is best before the summer crowd rush.
          Have a safe/great trip.

• kwthom
          kwthom commented
          Editing a comment
          May would be a good time for all of those areas. Did a tour a couple years back in late April/early May. Nice - a little cool, but nice conditions below 10,000' or so. Still was snow/ice above those elevations at that time.

• glarson3
          glarson3 commented
          Editing a comment

I just finished DV, Plan on a 2 week ride to Maggie Valley in May, then will visit the NW in July for a month or so. After that I'll take in the Eureka Springs rally in Sept. I'll probably do a few smaller rides in between.

Originally posted by Cruiseman View Post
          My first road trip on my new 2018 DCT will probably be a short 700 mile (RT) ride to West Texas to see my brother. In May, I am laying out a return to Grand Canyon/Bryce/Arches and maybe even Yosemite. But, I can't do a long trip until a trailer hitch becomes available for the 2018.
          The following is from Badger Pass ski resort in Yosemite so right now it looks like another drought year for CA/Yosemite and those waterfalls won't be too spectacular this year.

Ski Area Update 2/21/2018: Thank you, everyone, for your patience. Unfortunately, there is not enough snow right now or in the near forecast to open, so the Yosemite Ski & Snowboard Area will not open for the 2017-18 season. We are contacting all season pass holders via email to offer the option of a season pass roll over to the 2018-19 season or a refund. Thank you for your continued interest in California’s original ski area, and we hope to see you next year!

Wells that are drilled 600' deep in the Central Valley (Madera CA) are drying up. My friend in Madera has been having water trucked in to his place for the last 2 yrs. Another crisis year for CA.
          When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
          Jimi Hendrix
          Vietnam Veteran, Patriot Guard Rider

June, 2018: ND to Alaska and return to visit three national parks in AK. 7000 miles in 10 days.

July, 2018: Southwestern USA tour to visit more national parks in CA, OR, NV and UT. This will conclude our visiting all of the continental US national parks reachable by land. 5000-6000 miles in approximately 16 days.

In Sept, we're planning to attend Wing Ding 40 in Nashville. Then the NC twisties. Deals gap n TOD again. Then up to WV n DC area maybe as far north as Long Island NY. Two weeks maybe longer. In between head to Rio Rancho then nortern NM for Memorial Day in Taos, Angel Fire, Red River Enchanted Loop.
              2007 GL1800 level1
              2015 Hannigan Trike n 2009 Tailwind

Planning on going to the Rogers Arkansas event in April. Then, over the Memorial Day weekend, I'll be heading to the Great Smoky Mountains...Deals Gap, Cherohala, etc are all on the ride routes. It's a small gathering made up of friends I have had since my HD Days, but they haven't minded following my metric bikes around the last few years !! Don't have anything else set in stone for the remainder of the year, but I am sure there will be a couple of weekend trips to the Ozarks.

Late June starts my little adventure trek.

From Arizona, I'll be attending a family get-together in north-northern and then a little bit further north in Wisconsin.

Afterwards, a little side trip around Lake Superior. I haven't decided if I'll continue west out of Thunder Bay to a Point of Entry in North Dakota (Black Hills), Montana, Idaho or Washington. No time table, just point and go for awhile.

- David
                  - David

In June I'll be taking a trip to South Dakota. Be gone about 9-10 days.... will see the Badlands, Mt. Rushmore, Devil's Tower and Needles/Iron Mountain. In October and November, I've got two short trips planned. One for 4 days in Eastern Oklahoma/Western Arkansas. And a 4-5 day trip to Leakey and the Texas Hill Country.
                    Robert "Trip" Hilliard
                    2006 Goldwing GL1800 Level 2 "Cisco"
                    AMA # 3539665
                    Blue Knights #59055
                    rehilliard.net/hondagoldwing.htm

• kwthom
                      kwthom commented
                      Editing a comment
                      South Dakota was fun - need to do it again, since my first trip also included a blast thru Yellowstone.

Those two places really need to be done independently.

• Trailboss
                      Trailboss commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I haven't been up around the Dakotas since 94. I'd like to see the Crazy Horse carving now. Back then it was just the outline of the face.

• Fast7
                      Fast7 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Any idea what days you will be here?

Yellowstone was my favorite trip of all time. And you're right, Yellowstone and the Badlands must be done separately.
                    Robert "Trip" Hilliard
                    AMA # 3539665
                    Blue Knights #59055

Originally posted by trip View Post
                      In June I'll be taking a trip to South Dakota. Be gone about 9-10 days.... will see the Badlands, Mt. Rushmore, Devil's Tower and Needles/Iron Mountain. In October and November, I've got two short trips planned. One for 4 days in Eastern Oklahoma/Western Arkansas. And a 4-5 day trip to Leakey and the Texas Hill Country.
                      I've been up in that area several times but only once on the bike. We're looking forward to hitting that area again after I retire.
                      2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders

I've only been once also. Looking forward to hitting Yellowstone next year.
                        Robert "Trip" Hilliard
                        AMA # 3539665
                        Blue Knights #59055

I've only been once also. Looking forward to hitting Yellowstone next year.
                          Oh man, riding the Yellowstone loop and then out across Beartooth Highway. What a ride! Next time I want to also divert down Chief Joseph Scenic Highway.

This is a great full day ride when combined with the Beartooth Highway. Good Lodging in Red Lodge and Sheridan. Expect the best ride of your life because you can travel 3 totally different extreme mountain...

Three Flags Classic: This ride is over Labor Day, this is the 50th year of the organization and it's a World Class ride! It will start in Puerto Penasco, Mexico and end up in Calgary, Canada taking all scenic roads with three checkpoints along the way. This will be my 15th year and I have to say, I look forward to it more each year. Open to all bikes but Goldwing takes the trophy each year. I'm certain this year will be no different.

I live just south of Spearfish in the Hills. Let me know when, I would love to ride with you when your here. I usually do a couple of trips a summer to Yellow Stone. One to the Red Lodge rally in mid July and one with the wife in August.

This is going to be our Memorial Day weekend ride over 4 days; ~1350 miles over state/county roads and parkways.

Click image for larger version

Name:	capture4.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	96646

Originally posted by clayusmcret View Post

Oh man, riding the Yellowstone loop and then out across Beartooth Highway. What a ride! Next time I want to also divert down Chief Joseph Scenic Highway.
                                  West Yellowstone MT to Jackson WY is really nice also. The Teton loop is awesome. I try to do these rides twice a year.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page