DonnieOnTheRoad - Road Trip - Twisted Sisters & Big Bend Texas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DonnieOnTheRoad - Road Trip - Twisted Sisters & Big Bend Texas

Hello All …. know I've got some friends that frequent this forum so I'm going to post up here as well if anyone want to tag along ...details below...

Couple of days from now on Feb 28th I’ll be hitting the open road again. This will be my first Road Trip in this new year and one I’ve been trying to do for some time. I will be blogging this road trip and will be posting my journal, pictures and updates to my web site nightly for the week or so I’ll be on the road for those that are interested in following along.

The direct link to this road trip can be found on my web site at the link below … scroll down for each night’s entry as I make them. If you don’t see the current day’s entry be sure to refresh your screen or check back in the morning. Some times they are posted late to give me time to put them together after a full day of riding.
    http://donnieontheroad.com/styled-2/...-69/index.html

My spotwalla link if you want to see the roads we ride or the route we took can be found here…
    https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...3587eca18d6bfa

I’ve included the background on this road trip below … I’m also trying something new this time and plan to try and record some video clips, edit and publish them but it’s a learning experience so I’ll see what I can do if I have time to figure that all out.

As usual we can use this thread on the forum for comments or thoughts regarding this road trip. The nightly updates will only be on my web site. For those forum members that want to meet up with Bob and I send me a PM and we can maybe exchange telephone numbers to coordinate. We are hopeful to meet a few forum members if possible on this road trip.

Take Care …. and let’s be careful out there.

Donnie

————————————————————————

Feb 28th - March 8th 2017

Goldwing Road Trip - Hill Country (Twisted Sisters) and Big Bend Texas

Road Trip Background:

No better way than to kick off the New Year's riding season than a road trip into the unknown. There aren't many places left in the USA that are an unknown to me that I haven't had the pleasure to lay some tread on but the Texas Hill Country (Twisted Sisters) and Big Bend Texas are two locations that fit that bill. That was about to end. This road trip was on my mind last year at this time but the weather just wouldn't cooperate and the road trip fell through. This year the weather seems more favorable and we are determined to make it happen. My partner in crime for this road trip is Monk (Bob) none other than the Arkansas Ridge Runner himself. Bob and I share similar riding styles and will make a good team to pull this off. Arizona16 (Jim) will be riding out from Arizona to meet up with us in Alpine Texas and will join us as we explore the Big Bend, Texas area before he returns back out to Arizona and we head back east to home. Let the Sojourn begin ….

————————————————————————

• Cruiseman
    replied
    Nice!

Leave a comment:

• Bama Jack
    replied
    Thanks Donnie for allowing me to ride along with ya'll. I enjoyed every mile! We have plans to ride the same area you just rode in September and probably the same roads you laid out. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• DonnieOnTheRoad
    replied
    Originally posted by RoadRat View Post
    Donnie, just finished reading your last entry and followed along on the entire trip via my computer. As usual you did an excellent job and you are still the KING of the Motorcycle Blogs.
    Thanks Paul ... you're too kind. Next time I'm out in California on a road trip I'll be sure to look you up. Also the next time we meet the steak is on me lol.

Donnie

Leave a comment:

• RoadRat
    replied
    Donnie, just finished reading your last entry and followed along on the entire trip via my computer. As usual you did an excellent job and you are still the KING of the Motorcycle Blogs.

Leave a comment:

• clayusmcret
    replied
    Excellent ride! Thanks for taking us along.

Leave a comment:

• DonnieOnTheRoad
    replied
    All,

Just finished my last entry in my journal for this Road Trip to Twisted Sisters and Big Bend Texas on my web site. This closes out another great adventure.

3,781 miles in 9 days. What a ride and such a fun and exciting adventure with friends.

I want to thank everyone that followed along with me and added comments to this thread as well. It made this road trip so much more enjoyable having first hand information and suggestions. Also thanks for all the kind words and encouragement. Really appreciate that.

Let's be careful out there

Donnie

Leave a comment:

• clayusmcret
    replied
    Excellent Monday post. I was looking at your latest Spotwalla and all I could think was, "Yep, that's why we ride." The X is mine. Why take 41 when 335 and 336 are available for the choosing.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.JPG Views:	2 Size:	48.6 KB ID:	82092

Leave a comment:

• clayusmcret
    replied
    I'm enjoying my "virtual" ride-along. Keep it up!

Leave a comment:

• 530ktm
    replied
    I enjoy watching and reading about your rides and what you encounter on them. Been a while since you have put something up and as usual I wish I could get out there and put some miles on the bike, maybe I will be able to do so soon. Have a safe journey.

Leave a comment:

• RoadRat
    replied
    Originally posted by Monk View Post

Define reasonable!!
    Reasonable is the speed that you travel after the first LEO stop. .Have a great trip.

Leave a comment:

• clayusmcret
    replied
    Saw your route on Spotwalla - kudos for getting off the interstate as much as you did. Also loved your description of the energy felt as you came to the start of the ride. I too love the thrill of setting off on another long ride. And having a good riding partner is better than gold. Whether it's a spouse who enjoys riding along or a friend on his/her own bike, that companion is icing on an already great cake. Following along - enjoy your ride!!

Leave a comment:

• Monk
    replied
    As always I'll be following your blog on this trip. I hope you and Monk have a great/safe trip. Keep the speed to a reasonable level.
    Define reasonable!!

Leave a comment:

• RoadRat
    replied
    Originally posted by DonnieOnTheRoad View Post

Paul .... is that you? I didn't recognize the handle until i saw "CAWING" in the signature. Guess your handle isn't consistent across different forums. Aren't you still CAWING on the other one?
    Man ...hope you're doing well and riding ... I'm sure you are.

Take Care ... I'll be rolling tomorrow.

Donnie
    Yes Donnie it's me and I'm still CAWING on the other forum. Just decided to use a different handle on this forum to come in under the radar. This is the only forum that I changed my handle,all the others I still go by CAWING. I'm doing fine and still riding but was disappointed in having to cancel the DV ride due to the crazy weather/flooding that we have been having. I hope you and Monk have a fantastic trip and I'll be following your blog. Enjoy!

Leave a comment:

• DonnieOnTheRoad
    replied
    Originally posted by biglefti View Post
    Donnie, I ridden to Big bend a couple of times. I hope you can take the time to ride each of the roads in the park to the end, as well as take a little adventure to Boquillas, Mexico. On top of that, Terlingua and Big Bend state park are interesting. Enjoy your trip, and as always, be safe. I'll enjoy watching your blog.
    Thanks for the info. I see it on the map. We will be coming down through there and WILL hit every paved road in Big Bend that we can.

Donnie

Leave a comment:

• DonnieOnTheRoad
    replied
    As always I'll be following your blog on this trip. I hope you and Monk have a great/safe trip. Keep the speed to a reasonable level.
    Paul .... is that you? I didn't recognize the handle until i saw "CAWING" in the signature. Guess your handle isn't consistent across different forums. Aren't you still CAWING on the other one?
    Man ...hope you're doing well and riding ... I'm sure you are.

Take Care ... I'll be rolling tomorrow.

Donnie

Leave a comment:

• RoadRat
    replied

Leave a comment:

• biglefti
    replied
    Donnie, I ridden to Big bend a couple of times. I hope you can take the time to ride each of the roads in the park to the end, as well as take a little adventure to Boquillas, Mexico. On top of that, Terlingua and Big Bend state park are interesting. Enjoy your trip, and as always, be safe. I'll enjoy watching your blog.

Leave a comment:

• clayusmcret
    replied
    Have a great time and be safe!!!

Leave a comment:

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page