Wingin in the Gorge A New River Gorge GTG!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wingin in the Gorge A New River Gorge GTG!

We could put on an event for summer of 2015 if there is enough interest.
    GTG would be New River Gorge West Virginia.
    There are plenty of great roads, attractions, zip lining, white water rafting to keep us busy.
    Let me know if there is enough interest to put this together.

SBB

Reserved for Info

SBB

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Reserved for Hotel information

SBB

Reserved for Attendee list

SBB

Reserved for Ride information

SBB

I won't be able to make the trip (I suspect), but thought I'd throw this out there.

Last year, my wife and I were asked to help my daughter and her husband move back to Texas from Pittsburgh, PA. We decided to ride the bike up and bring it back on the truck. Looking over routes, I decided that riding over the New River Gorge Bridge would be a nice experience, so we routed our trip that way. Interstates are boring, so we deliberately avoided I77 and took Hwy 19.

That road, starting just a little north of Princeton, was amazing. I made the comment to her several times that I was enjoying it more than The Dragon. Not as many turns, and they weren't nearly as drastic, but they were challenging, and view was great. But, what really made it fun was the traffic was not nearly as bad, and the speed limit was 55 most of the way through it. Don't get me wrong, you couldn't ride 55 all the way through it (or at least, I couldn't) but rather than the restrictive 30mph on The Dragon, the limit was "can you really handle this".

We topped it off with a stop at some little fruit stand near the end of it. We were both talking about how much we enjoyed it that night.

Sadly to say, the bridge was a big disappointment. It looks great in photos, but when you're actually on it, it's pretty much like any other major highway. I made a last minute decision to exit off, leave my wife at the overlook, and ride back across so she could get a picture of the bike going across it
            2012 Honda Goldwing | 2009 Timeout Camper

Patriot Guard Rider since 2007 | IBA member #59823

Originally posted by hparsons View Post
              I won't be able to make the trip (I suspect), but thought I'd throw this out there.

Last year, my wife and I were asked to help my daughter and her husband move back to Texas from Pittsburgh, PA. We decided to ride the bike up and bring it back on the truck. Looking over routes, I decided that riding over the New River Gorge Bridge would be a nice experience, so we routed our trip that way. Interstates are boring, so we deliberately avoided I77 and took Hwy 19.

That road, starting just a little north of Princeton, was amazing. I made the comment to her several times that I was enjoying it more than The Dragon. Not as many turns, and they weren't nearly as drastic, but they were challenging, and view was great. But, what really made it fun was the traffic was not nearly as bad, and the speed limit was 55 most of the way through it. Don't get me wrong, you couldn't ride 55 all the way through it (or at least, I couldn't) but rather than the restrictive 30mph on The Dragon, the limit was "can you really handle this".

We topped it off with a stop at some little fruit stand near the end of it. We were both talking about how much we enjoyed it that night.

Sadly to say, the bridge was a big disappointment. It looks great in photos, but when you're actually on it, it's pretty much like any other major highway. I made a last minute decision to exit off, leave my wife at the overlook, and ride back across so she could get a picture of the bike going across it

There are some great roads in the area to ride. Going over the bridge is ok but travelling under the bridge is cool! We are fairly new to that area but have friends there that know the good roads.
              If you could make it please let me know.

SBB

Originally posted by SBB View Post

There are some great roads in the area to ride. Going over the bridge is ok but travelling under the bridge is cool! We are fairly new to that area but have friends there that know the good roads.
                If you could make it please let me know.

SBB

Lot different view from the bottom of the bridge

Keep us informed.
                  """""""Darksider #10 It's been said by many people, that I am still only 16 years old inside my head!! LOL!!
                  I have never thrown a leg over any make or model of motorcycle and had nothing but a good time!!"""""""

The ride under the bridge is much better. The roads in that area is great.

My avatar is the new river gorge bridge. I am parked on the old wooden bridge on the original route underneath the new bridge.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page