Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saddlesore 1000 on a Goldwing

Just a topic to vote on and discuss why you voted how you voted.
    More bike than rider
    7.69%
    More rider than bike
    69.23%
    Equal parts bike and rider
    23.08%

The poll is expired.

I dont see a Goldwing as a problem on the ride if it has beeen properly maintained
    2013 Red Airbag 1800

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Ken,

I'm not clear on the intent of your questions. I could provide a different answer depending on how I interpret the intent of the question.

In my case I think my Goldwing made completion of a SS1000 possible. I don't think I could have completed the ride on a bike without the windshield, fairing, comfort, and luxury features of a Goldwing. I can honestly say, if I couldn't ride a Goldwing I wouldn't ride a motorcycle.

My Goldwing offers far more capability than I am a capable of extracting from it. A Goldwing can be whatever a highly skilled rider wants it to be - a strong competitor in police force motor officer low speed parking lot competitions or a canyon racer.
      Harvey Barlow
      Crosby County, TX
      2010 Goldwing Level II Pearl Yellow (sold at 93,000 miles)
      2014 Goldwing Level II Pearl Blue (sold at 27,000 miles to forum member)

I purpose built touring bike will undoubtably make a ride like that much easier, but I bet most of us have know riders on lesser bikes that have done it.

Sure. I was only speaking for myself.

I certainly know Iron Butt riders who have ridden an entire Iron Butt Rally on much lesser motorcycles but they are generally a lot younger and tougher than I am.
          Harvey Barlow
          Crosby County, TX

Reviving an older thread...

The premise of the question was to simply ask for the opinion - bike (Goldwing) - or rider - when it comes to accomplishing a ride like a SS1000.

Recall that a long distance ride is whatever you personally consider 'long distance'. For the vast majority of those who have executed a SS1000, it was a one-and-done activity. Y'know, "been there, done that, got the cert to prove it!" and done! Now, there are many that claim it, but like my buddy Bubba1 was fond of saying (paraphrasing a bit...) "Put up or shut up" - when it came to actually executing a ride in accordance with recognized standards that IBA has promulgated.

A small, probably low double-digit percentage of those of us who said "Hey - I like this!" and have gone on to do accomplish more and more. Look at the field in IBR'15. Cream of the crop of LD riders, right there. I was there at the conclusion of IBR'15. I saw the magnitude of what some highly creative individuals were capable of accomplishing, with little more than a few thousand dollars, a few weeks of time to not only prepare for the ride, but to actually accomplish the ride.

Then, there's the opposite end of the spectrum - small displacement bikes that are wound up tighter than a watch spring and 24 hours later some hard-core rider has a SS1000 under their belt.

...and then, there's the rest of us.

IMO, the wing makes it alot easier comfort wise for the rider. I wouldn't even think about SS1000 on my VTX without replacing the seat at least.
              DS#1146 IBA#55800 50CC,BBG, BB1500 x2, SS2K, SS1Kx3 CERTIFIED ALL DS, PGR RC
              2010 Level3 Endeavor Reverse Trike

I don't know for sure how many 1000 mile days or better I've done since 08 when I bought my wing but a safe bet would be around 7. I have not certified any of them, and my reason is because to me 1000 miles in 24 hours is very easy to do and in my mind is a powder puff ride for the IBA, in fact I think it sort of states that in the rules and explanations on their site. Now the animals that ride 11,000 miles or better in 11 days have all my respect, lol. I couldn't imagine doing a ride like that or some of the other ones they do.

Originally posted by CAC View Post
                  I don't know for sure how many 1000 mile days or better I've done since 08 when I bought my wing but a safe bet would be around 7. I have not certified any of them, and my reason is because to me 1000 miles in 24 hours is very easy to do and in my mind is a powder puff ride for the IBA, in fact I think it sort of states that in the rules and explanations on their site. Now the animals that ride 11,000 miles or better in 11 days have all my respect, lol. I couldn't imagine doing a ride like that or some of the other ones they do.
                  Like you I have done my fair share of 1000 mi. days none of which were certified because at the time I didn't even know about the IBA. Probably wouldn't have done the paperwork to certify even if I had known about the IBA. All of mine were out of necessity because of limited vacation time when I was working.
                  When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
                  Jimi Hendrix
                  Vietnam Veteran, Patriot Guard Rider

Some will tell you that if your ride wasn't certified it didn't happen.
                    Harvey Barlow
                    Crosby County, TX

Very true Harvey, but how many of us on a vacation and in a hurry to get somewhere, left early that one morning going to get there early to our destination and had a problem, stopped a little longer, had to big a lunch and maybe found some bad weather but we had that goal stuck in our head and by Goerge we're going to get there so we won't be off schedule tomorrow and damn I made that reservation and it's past time to cancel so I'm going to be late. And so we persist / even though maybe the spouse has now learned in what position to sleep while riding back there. And she does but is not a happy camper and you would think that she would be happy you made it to the motel at 4AM and saved loosing that reservation. Maybe that's why we have a meeting of the minds, well her mind and mine is thinking ahead... we do like to ride but age has a way of effecting distance as father time marches on. I still make a few IBA's when friends THINK they are ready, and find out they didn't watch the weather, forgot something like a jacket or gloves and totally left at the wrong time, only to find Mr.Prepared the Boy Scout leaving them along the way as they return dejected and we finish their ride with a New Cert. has happened more than once... for me its a mental thing with planning the most important thing!! They no longer ask unless they really know they're ready... as I'm on the trike now, I can really outlast them / have bigger kidneys!! and a nice Reserve loaded with water and a few snacks....
                      Retired, Lifetime NRA, IBA #5831, AMA Lifer, HOG Lifer, Gypsy Tour Rider

"There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

Originally posted by HBarlow View Post
                        Some will tell you that if your ride wasn't certified it didn't happen.
                        I really don't have squat to prove to anybody and me knowing that I did it is sufficient for me.
                        Just sayin!

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
                        Jimi Hendrix
                        Vietnam Veteran, Patriot Guard Rider

I've got a couple of bucket-list rides I'd like to do in the next few years - while I'm still gainfully employed that can really help with financing a trek like these. To that end, knowing that I have the proven ability -right now- of a couple of certified 1000+ mile rides (first one done in a bit of 16 hours, the mast one done in under 15 hours) means that it may well be possible for me to do a W-E 50CC - and get back home - in a week's worth of time off. I'm just not sure that I'd consider biting off a 100CCC on that first attempt - but ya never know.

The second ride - no, it just needs to be accomplished in under 21 days to get to the four corners of the US - again, I gotta get back to work when that one's over with as well. So, no it won't be IBR-style riding for three weeks. There's only a few in the world that have that ability to ride like that - I'm not one of them.

I don't think.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page