Summer Trips?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summer Trips?

What summer trips do you folks have planned for this year? Let us hear about your plans.

I am leaving at the end of June again for my biennial NJ to WA trip. I did it in 2011 and 2013 and I'm making my plans for this year's ride. I make it a month long trip with 5 days out and 5 days back. The rest of the time is spent with an old Navy buddy who lives in the Columbia River Gorge near Bingen. He is also a rider (KTM 1190 Adventure) and he plans day rides for us every day. We also usually do one or two overnight trips. I absolutely LOVE all that Washington State has to offer and will be going back for as long as God gives me the ability to do so.

Where do you have planned for your Summer trip?

Im planning on attending the Montrose, Colorado gathering in September. The surrounding area offers many outstanding rides! This year, instead of returning to Tucson after the gathering I am looking at travelling north. I think I will ride up to Flaming Gorge on the Wyoming border, catch US 191 N to Jackson Hole, ride in and out of Yellowstone and continue north to Missoula. From there ride Lolo Pass to Lewiston, Idaho and then a few of the excellent scenic roads Northeast Oregon has to offer. Continuing southwest I hope to end up in La Pine, Oregon in time to attend some of the Reuben Run Gathering. The Cascade Lakes Highway is something I haven't done on a bike. Then its just a matter of picking a slow, easy ride southeast on my way home to Tucson. Im really looking forward to this trip!

Mike

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

• wingleader09
      wingleader09 commented
      Editing a comment
      You are right about the good riding in NW Oregon. And Lolo Pass (Hwy 12) from Missoula to Lewiston is excellent! There is a really good little cafe in Lowell, ID called the Wilderness Inn. It's a small place but the service and food were great. Be sure to put a pin in their map to show where you are from. If you are around Orofino and need a place to stay overnight, I highly recommend the Konkolville Motel. It's a mom and pop place that is very biker friendly. An older property but very well and lovingly maintained, They serve a grill-your-own steak dinner with baked potato, salad and drink out in their patio area for $16 or $17 that is outstanding and should not be missed.

Thanks wingleader. I appreciate the info on food and lodging options. I, too, want to get further north someday and ride the North Cascades Loop in Washington State. Maybe next year?

I have three trips planned. The first will take us from Eastern NC, up across the Back of the Dragon, my annual circle in and around KY and back. Then, I'm taking a three day ride up to spend the night in NJ, ride on up to Rhode Island for a lunch and back to NJ, then home. The real trip this year will be out to Montrose (better be paying attention because I will only be there ~12 hours), across Utah on to Ely NV, down to the Grand Canyon, on down to Phoenix to see the new grandbaby, and then back home to Eastern NC. The latter two rides will complete my Continental US map, leaving only Hawaii unridden.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Montrose Ride.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	50771
      2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
      USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
      US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
      2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
      2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

• wingleader09
        wingleader09 commented
        Editing a comment
        When will you be in Jersey?

• clayusmcret
        clayusmcret commented
        Editing a comment
        I've got to pick a three day weekend. Haven't decided.

I am going to head up to Montrose or Oregon in September, not sure which place at this time.
      Dave - Arizona - 2012/GL1800

I'm looking forward to several trips this summer. First will be a week in the mountains starting in Clinton, TN and then winding down to Dalton, GA. This week will hopefully be followed up with a few days at Fontana Village and a bunch of CBX nuts. From there I will be headed to Dillard, GA for a week with friends from MTA. Then in mid July I hope to be headed up to Duluth, MN and some riding in an area new to me.

Finally in October I am considering a tour to the northeast in NH to see the leaves and ride some more in that area. And hopefully between these trips I will be able to slip over to VIR and watch superbike racing and maybe head to Vintage days at Mid Ohio. The wife is planning to retire this summer so everything is up in the air and we will see!
        Harvey
        Ride Safe and Ride Often

First trip will be what I call the 'Reptile Ride', which will include the Back of the Dragon, Tail of the Dragon, The Rattler, The Diamondback and The Foothills Parkway. This will be my 4th trip to the area, but the first on the '78 GL1000.

Second trip will be back out to the west coast to visit the following:

1. Glacier National Park - ride the Going to the Sun Road; ride Lolo Pass; ride through the Columbia River Gorge.

2. Redwood NP; Golden Gate Bridge; ride the Pacific Coast Highway to Monterey

3. Yosemite, Sequoia and Death Valley NP's.

4. Valley of Fire State Park and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.

5. Ride some of the roads near Eureka Springs, Arkansas.

• wingleader09
            wingleader09 commented
            Editing a comment
            You've got some very nice trips planned!

• clayusmcret
            clayusmcret commented
            Editing a comment
            Great set a rides and even better, on a classic bike. I've been considering going that route for a second bike just to get back having a classic bike ride. Great choice! And you had me wanting to be on the road with the Reptile Ride.

Originally posted by djoyner View Post
          First trip will be what I call the 'Reptile Ride', which will include the Back of the Dragon, Tail of the Dragon, The Rattler, The Diamondback and The Foothills Parkway. This will be my 4th trip to the area, but the first on the '78 GL1000.

1. Glacier National Park - ride the Going to the Sun Road; ride Lolo Pass; ride through the Columbia River Gorge.

2. Visit Redwood NP; Golden Gate Bridge; ride the Pacific Coast Highway to Monterey

3. Visit Yosemite, Sequoia and Death Valley NP's.

4. Visit Valley of Fire State Park and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.

Those sound like some nice rides.
          Dave - Arizona - 2012/GL1800

Still a working stiff so my trips are limited to the amount of vacation days I & my wife have. Spending a week in the Smokies in late May. The big trip for us will be a two week trip to Colorado in early September part of which will be spent in Montrose for the board Rockies event.

We also hope to do several three day weekend mini trips.

Dan
            2007 dark blue Navi
            Traxxion "Mega Monty"
            IBA 54656

• wingleader09
              wingleader09 commented
              Editing a comment
              Colorado is one of my favorite destinations. I need to get back there, haven't been in a while. When we lived in Texas, my wife and I use to go to CO a lot to escape the summer heat at home! ;-)

I'm planning leaving NE Oklahoma the 2nd week of September for New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edwards Island. Want to drive Cabot Trail and lighthouse route. I figure about 2.5 days up there, 10 days there, and 3.5 days back. Pretty much blows my 2 week vacation. :-)

• wingleader09
              wingleader09 commented
              Editing a comment
              Sounds nice! Nova Scotia and Newfoundland are on my bucket list. How's the weather up there in September?

Be sure to post up some pictures.

• harvey
              harvey commented
              Editing a comment
              You will enjoy the Cabot Trail, as well as PEI. Unfortunately the potatoes in PEI will be harvested by then.

You must be quite an Iron Butt to get to that area in 2/3 days, what is it 2200miles?

But I do hope you enjoy the trip and post a lot of photos. If you miss the high population areas riding in NE USA and into Canada is beautiful with a lot of great roads except for Rt 108 across New Brunswick. terrible road full of potholes.

• bbalzer
              bbalzer commented
              Editing a comment
              About 2200 to Halifax. Probably won't make that in 2.5 days. I hope to make somewhere between 300 and 500 miles the first afternon. 300-400 should be pretty easy. Another 750 to 800 each of the following 2 days. Most of this is interstate so shouldn't be too bad. Stopping in time to put up tent is my bigger concern. I just need to get there asap cause I think I will want as many days as possible in that area. Last year did a little over 6,400 miles going to Washington-Oregon and sight seeing in-between. Averaged 539 miles every day on that trip. I'm getting anxious.

Originally posted by clayusmcret
            Great set a rides and even better on a classic bike. I’ve been considering going that route for a second bike just to get back to having a classic bike ride. Great choice! And you had me wanting to be on the road with the reptile ride:
            You can’t go wrong with a Goldwing. In fact, I just picked up a ’79 that I’m restoring. I’ll be taking my GL1500 on the west coast trip. Since you’re in the NC area, I’m ‘preaching to the choir’ when I mentioned the great roads around the Smokey Mountains.

Originally posted by wingleader09
            You’ve got some very nice trips planned!:
            Thanks wingleader, I’ve been looking forward to riding the PCH for a few years.

Originally posted by 530ktm View Post
            Those sound like some nice rides.
            Thanks Dave.

California coast between Morro Bay and Carmel as well as a trip into Colorado using Denver as the base camp. Local rides and Rocky Mtn. National Park, Pikes Peak and more.

• wingleader09
                wingleader09 commented
                Editing a comment
                Good trips for sure. That section of Highway 1 is great. You will enjoy riding it. There is a good eating place in Big Sur called "Nepenthe". It is right on Hwy1 about 30 - 40 miles south of Carmel. Also, if you have time and the inclination, Hurst Castle in San Simeon is pretty spectacular. But be warned, tickets are on the pricey side.

I need to get back to the Denver area, I haven't been there for any length of time since the mid '90s. I passed through there in 2013 on my way back to NJ from the west coast. Lots of great riding in that area too. Enjoy and be safe.

Originally posted by m45mcdan View Post
              California coast between Morro Bay and Carmel as well as a trip into Colorado using Denver as the base camp. Local rides and Rocky Mtn. National Park, Pikes Peak and more.
              If you have the time the Aquarium in Monterey is a great way to spend an afternoon.
              When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
              Jimi Hendrix
              Vietnam Veteran, Patriot Guard Rider

Thanks all, I/we've done PCH many, many times so most of the places you've mentioned are "been there, got the magnet" destinations. Used to camp at Laguna Seca for motogp races every year and really miss having a reason to make that ride. We've also ridden a lot of familiar roads in So. Colorado around Durango and Cortez so looking forward to exploring around Denver.

Originally posted by djoyner View Post

2. Redwood NP; Golden Gate Bridge; ride the Pacific Coast Highway to Monterey

3. Yosemite, Sequoia and Death Valley NP's.

4. Valley of Fire State Park and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.

Well, I did my 'Reptile Ride' last weekend and in spite of the weather (wind gusts day 1, freezing temps day 2 and pouring rain day 3), it was a great trip. Of all of the twisties I rode last weekend, The Snake (US 421 between Bristol, TN and Mountain City, TN) was the most challenging...a lot of off-camber, tight turns that seemed to go straight up.

• wingleader09
                    wingleader09 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for the ride report. I go gown I-81 through Virginia fairly often. I usually use Abingdon or Bristol as an overnight stop. I will have to try out Hwy 421 on my next trip through there.
                Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page