Requirements For A Saddle Sore 1000 Completed!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HBarlow
    started a topic Requirements For A Saddle Sore 1000 Completed!!

Requirements For A Saddle Sore 1000 Completed!!

Well, i did it. As others have stated, I felt increasing dread and apprehension as the day approached but by the time I was 2/3rds of the way through the ride I was already thinking it was not hard at all.

I read a lot of comments and suggestions here, on BMW websites, and on the Iron Butt Association website. Every word I read shaped the outcome of my ride and many of the suggestions formed the basis of my route and timing. The experiences of others was extremely helpful to me and I thank each and everyone whose words I have read.

I actually rode the same route ridden by kwthom a few months ago and discussed here. I just started and ended my ride at a different location along the same route.

My first decision following the advice of others was to select an interstate highway route. I wanted consistent high speed limits, limited vehicle entry and exit, no cross traffic, no small towns, as few big cities as I could manage, and no traffic lights. Several Texas routes were considered but as many know, deer, feral hogs, and other wildlife critters are common on Texas highways. I rejected that plan. Weather was also a consideration. A couple weeks ago when I was planning a route farther north presented a risk of extreme low temps and snow or ice.

I wanted to ride a circle route from Las Cruces, NM to Albuquerque, west to Flagstaff, then south to Phoenix, and return to Las Cruces but weather on I-40 was a concern. I decided to remain south on I-10 and I-8. I decided I would ride from Las Cruces to Yuma, 512 miles, turn around and return to Las Cruces. The Google Maps distance from the Motel 6 on La Posada Lane to Yuma and return was 1023 miles. All good highway, 75 mph speed limit, and only one city to actually ride through - Tucson.

I rode over to Las Cruces last Wednesday and hung around relaxing on Thursday. I made arrangements with a very pleasant and friendly Latina night auditor who was happy to be available and witness my start verification form at 4 am. She even made a good pot of coffee because she assumed I would want it! A great young woman. Outstanding service and I have told Motel 6 how much I appreciated her. A Chevron station just around the corner from the motel, probably 100 yards away was convenient for fueling and I-10 was only 1/4 mile away. It was an excellent starting point.

I was up, showered, and suited up by 4 am Friday. The night auditor was ready to sign my verification form. I drank coffee and talked with her until 4:30 then loaded up and purchased gas. My gas receipt time stamp showed 5:04 am. I had my Aerostich Darien suit zipped up tight and the heated vest on and as soon as I pointed west on I-10, set the cruise control on 79 mph. Temps varied from about 35° as the elevation climbed to around 83° in Yuma. I was comfortable at both extremes.

I planned my fuel stops as recommended at 200 mile intervals. I refueled quickly at a TA Travel Stop in Willcox, AZ and again at a Loves in Gila Bend, AZ. I was in Yuma, AZ before 12 noon local time to refuel again and have a quick, light lunch at Denny's just beside Exit 2.

On the return ride eastbound I fueled at another Loves at Eloy, AZ and again at the same TA at Willcox where I also ate a light supper. I encountered two major accidents east of Tucson that shut down the interstate for a mile or two each time. Unwilling to sit in traffic or inch forward for 30 minutes or an hour I pulled out on the shoulder each time and slowly rode past hundreds of cars and trucks blocking both lanes. I know it's not legal but hoped the patrol car wig-wag lights would show me where the troopers were in time to slip back into a space before thay saw me. It worked! I rode to the head of the line and was back up to speed with minimum loss of time. Only one azzhole in an old pick up truck veered onto the shoulder as I approached him on the left shoulder. I expressed my appreciation as I motored past him. There's one in every crowd I've always heard.

I felt good all day but at the 900 mile point around the NM state line on a very dark night I was feeling a little fatigue but was not sleepy. I had time to spare so made an unplanned stop at a convenience store in Deming, NM and had a cup of coffee. That perked me up for the final 65 miles.

My end of trip fuel receipt back at the original Chevron station beside the Motel 6 showed 9:47 pm. I was back at my motel by 9:55 and the evening desk clerk was happy to verify my odometer and license plate and sign my end of trip verification form. Ride complete. It was a good feeling. I experienced no problems as expected on a new Goldwing.

I rode 1066 miles by Goldwing odometer which is about 4% optimistic. Portal to portal I was on the road 16 hours and 43 minutes. Certainly far from a record breaker but that was not my goal. I figured a 1000 mile ride in less than 17 hours with two meal stops and one coffee break was not bad for an old man of 72.

I slept well Friday night. I had planned to spend another day at the motel to rest up prior to the 450 mile ride back home but after coffee and breakfast at a nearby Denny's I felt great and decided to hit the road for home. As I rode I realized I should have documented my start time and mileage with another start of ride verification form. If I had done that I could have claimed a Bun Burner 1500 also by simply riding a few miles beyond my farmhouse, stop and buy gas, then ride back home. I covered the 450 miles back home with ease and in less than the total 36 hours allowed. I didn't realize I would have the stamina to ride 1500 miles in 36 hours. The lesson I learned is one, an Iron Butt ride is fun and rewarding and two, anyone can do it on a Goldwing!!

I recommend an easy Saddle Sore 1000 for all Goldwing riders. It's not hard to do if you plan your ride well and it sure feels good when it's in the log book.

• HBarlow
    commented on 's reply
    I'm happy that the deer population didn't want to graze where I was riding. The only critter I saw in 1066 odometer miles was the reflector eyes of a small coyote on the right shoulder between Las Cruces and Lordsburg on my early morning westbound leg.

The thought of a deer running out in front of me at speed scares the heck out of me. The laws of physics say that a deer and I cannot occupy the same space.

• kwthom
    commented on 's reply
    Harvey...The hooved desert rats are there, but prefer to be in area they can eat, so they tend to be in a little higher in elevation areas as I described.

• HBarlow
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks, Bob. I appreciate the support. I'm really looking forward to receiving that package from the IBA with my certificate and license plate frame. I really view that frame as a badge of honor and will be quite proud of it. I recall clearly how impressed I was years ago the first time I saw one on a motorcycle belonging to a young LAPD officer on a BMW and he explained what it was. Now I understand that a Saddle Sore 1000 was probably no big deal to a big strong young big city street cop. Wrestling with street thugs on a night shift in south central LA was probably more challenging.

I honestly believe that anyone who doesn't have serious health issues can do an SS or a BB1500 on a Goldwing. My wing is more comfortable than my VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI.

I was afraid of a Texas route for fear of hitting a deer during the hours of darkness. There aren't many deer in the NM and AZ desert southwest.

• Solidbob
    replied
    Well Congrats to ya there Harvey, guess you'll be a member of our club in the not to distant future. I did mine back in 6/19/1999 IBA #5831 , when I had my ST1100, sure miss that bike. Mine was done from Cleburne, Tx south on I35 to San Antonio, west on I-10 to Barnett's HD in El Paso, then back east on I-10 / I-20 to Fort Worth meeting my spouse back at the Cleburne Police Dept. ( Bike Cops had no words - just open mouths) told them it wasn't that bad. The bad part for me was leaving at 2am to get thru Austin and San Antonio before traffic time... had dinner in Cleburne at Chilis at 10:40PM Now at 65 and a Triker I'm thinking about the 1500 using the same route with a few changes to add mileage..... spouse thinks I nuts..... sometimes my body thinks I'm nuts but that GL1800 says bring it on!! Took me three tries due to bad weather the first time... spring in Texas is tough... Congrats again...

Leave a comment:

• kwthom
    commented on 's reply
    You should hear back in roughly 4 weeks - processing times have dropped lately, but there's also the fact this is the slow time of year (in the northern hemisphere) for certification rides.

Save your email from "Evil Lord Kneebone" (you'll get that inside joke one day...), as that will be the number reveal for the first time.

Join the LDRiders list and you can read from the old-timers (the guys & gals with three and four digit IBA numbers... hehehehe!

• HBarlow
    replied
    My number will probably be around 60,000. I'll proudly post it when assigned.

Leave a comment:

• Westdc
    replied
    Originally posted by HBarlow View Post
    Thanks for all the nice comments.

I put the finishing touches on the application package last night and will put the envelope in the mail today. The wait for the certification and license plate frame can be 6 or 8 weeks according to Michael Kneebone's advice I read on the IBA website.

More like a nice winter project Post your number when you get it!

FWIW mine is IBA # 40576

Leave a comment:

• HBarlow
    replied
    Thanks for all the nice comments.

I put the finishing touches on the application package last night and will put the envelope in the mail today. The wait for the certification and license plate frame can be 6 or 8 weeks according to Michael Kneebone's advice I read on the IBA website.

Leave a comment:

• hparsons
    replied
    Congrats. You sound like I felt after mine "What was all that silly worrying about..."

Leave a comment:

• Yellowbird
    replied
    Congrats on your Saddle Sore ride

Leave a comment:

• Haste Maker
    replied
    Originally posted by HBarlow View Post
    I usually tell friends I am "older than dirt." I'm 72 and will be 73 in July.
    Good for you...reason I ask your age is I did mine at age 67 three years ago...I am thinking about doing the 1500 in 36 hours next.

Leave a comment:

• Westdc
    replied
    Congrats Click image for larger version

Name:	20150316_073115 (Small).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	48024

When you get your number - Don't forget to get a Tag Frame

Leave a comment:

• kwthom
    replied
    Nicely done...congratulations!

Now, put your data together and submit it! :-)

Leave a comment:

• clayusmcret
    replied
    Congratulations! 1000 miles always sounds so daunting until proper planning puts it back into perspective. Well Done!

Leave a comment:

• MMR
    replied
    Congratulations Harvey. One down, 99 more to go. You did well.

Leave a comment:

• Kenichi
    replied
    Congrats on your ride and what an inspiration Ride Long and Live Long!

Leave a comment:

• yellow wolf
    replied
    congrats and ride on!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Pooch
    replied
    Congrats!! I know you're planning another one!....LOL

Leave a comment:

• TravelinLite
    replied
    Is dirt that old? Congrats Harvey.