California "Five Passes" (or more...) Ride!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California "Five Passes" (or more...) Ride!

Preliminary discussion on the ride here:

https://www.theglforum.com/social-gr...ve-passes-ride

(Yeah, been kicking this one around for awhile now...)

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200926141853-map.png
Views:	213
Size:	585.2 KB
ID:	134230

I'll share a Spotwalla link when the ride really gets going - Vegas and points north. I'll be visiting with family for a day or two there before it gets real.

The ride south (beyond the purple line...) is only tentatively planned, and I'll be also visiting with family when I get to SoCal.
    Ken (IBA #50030) & Grace (IBA #62768)Tucson, AZ"Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕMy blog

Are you still planning for this year?

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

• Rocky
      Rocky commented
      Editing a comment
      It in my opinion was a waste of time.
      If after 4 years of the Liberal Hatred.
      Everyone with a brain-already knew months ago.
      "Who they are voting for-aka-They're minds are already made up"

• biglefti
      biglefti commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree with all of that.

• kwthom
      kwthom commented
      Editing a comment

Yep.

Tomorrow it begins...

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...=0&showAll=yes

Ken (IBA #50030) & Grace (IBA #62768)Tucson, AZ"Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕMy blog

Have a safe trip.

We'll be looking for after pic's of the summit signs.
      **You may not like the Truth-But that doesn't change it!**

"Life is Tough-It's tougher when you are stupid"

The Devil whispered "I'm coming for you"!
      I whispered back "Bring Beer"

Here is a picture taken yesterday on the Devils Highway. Do you recognize the guy? You worked on his bike!

• biglefti
          biglefti commented
          Editing a comment
          But, did you like my Hairy A$$?

• Rocky
          Rocky commented
          Editing a comment
          you really don't want me to comment do you?

• biglefti
          biglefti commented
          Editing a comment
          The ones you were thinking of when I made the post are quite common. The one I took the picture of are very rare. At one time there were only 30 left.

Animals seen today...

Dead

Skunk

Bird impact on bike; right fork. Zero damage to bike.

​Live

Coyote

Cow

Fox

Deer - dead center in middle of road. Suspect there will be more - many more!

Squirrel

Smoke has reduced a bit by the end of the day.

Tomorrow: Donner - off I-80 as much as possible, Echo US-50, Luther CA-89, Carson CA-88

• Wheels
          Wheels commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm hearing a song in here somewhere......................LOL

• kwthom
          kwthom commented
          Editing a comment

• kwthom
          kwthom commented
          Editing a comment
          Maybe it was this one...

Donner Pass - Closed due to construction for the entire month of October.

Grrr...

Donner (I-80) doesn't count, in my opinion..., Echo on US-50, Luther on CA-89, and Carson on CA-88. Damn...those were fun, even with traffic.

Pretty obvious to see the areas burned by recent and past fires. Smoke was pretty bad on the eastern side of the range, but today was pretty nice. Might be back into a bit of it tomorrow. Tomorrow, we get Ebbett's on CA-4, and Sonora on CA-108 before scooting nearer the coast.

No photos - video only!

• biglefti
          biglefti commented
          Editing a comment
          It sounds like you're still having fun. Sorry I've been hijacking your thread for personal use.

• Rocky
          Rocky commented
          Editing a comment
          Good to hear you are enjoying the roads/ride.

Stay safe and have fun.
          Breath slowly when encountering the smoky areas in the elevations.

• biglefti
          biglefti commented
          Editing a comment
          Hope you like Garlic! You might find some there.

Yep...followed a couple of semi trucks into town with loads of vampire repellant.

Camera power issue, not yet sure how much video I grabbed yesterday. Means another trip up this way. Had Ebbetts pass to ourselves much of the way up.

• Rocky
          Rocky commented
          Editing a comment
          I hear that is good for memory loss too. Can ya grab some for a buddy in sun city to try??

Ourselves?? You flying two up?

• biglefti
          biglefti commented
          Editing a comment
          Pretty sure he is.

• biglefti
          biglefti commented
          Editing a comment
          Maybe it would work for something besides memory!!!

Smoke, really a haze on the eastern slope of the range. Makes it tough to get any good scenic photos. Yes, two up... she's actually enjoying the passes.

Chance of a light dusting of snow in the coming days, perhaps. The riding season window up there may be closing soon. Roads were in great condition for the most part.

Tioga was mostly empty, but learned about half way my GoPro was drained of battery, and didn't feel like diagnosis at 9000 feet up.

I'll confirm my diagnostic efforts when I get out of bed.

Sonora? Unreal descent on the west side. Yeah, I'll do this ride another day.

A bit lazy today, but headed to the coast to color in another unridden segment of CA-1.

Intermittent charging cable, buried on the bike. Got quite a bit of video southbound along CA-1 today. Burned area around Nacimiento-Fergusson Rd for what had to be 10 miles.

Between N-F & Hearst Castle, that was one segment of CA-1 that was new to us. Stopped by to visit the seals; my wife was impressed that so many hang out there. Wildlife at it's finest.

Vising family here; no further tracking available on that link.

• Rocky
            Rocky commented
            Editing a comment
            The Elephant seals are a hugh tourist draw. As is the castle tours. (Been on 3 different tours)

From Monterey south to Cambria is a very scenic ride on 1. (1 turns inland just north of Moro bay.)

• kwthom
            kwthom commented
            Editing a comment
            Been to the castle once with my wife; that was a fun time on an otherwise dreary trip up north a few years ago.

You may have seen my detour into the San Fernando Valley on Thursday - had always wanted to see what that road was like.

No, not the oil patch, the area south of it!

Home yesterday late afternoon - another boring 500 miles of Interstate to get home in 8.5 hours, including stops.

Wife asks if I'd do it again. I said "Yep!"

"Would you take me?"

"Sure - absolutely! Did YOU have fun!?"

"I did!"

When arriving at home, some unexpected news that a brother of my wife's bestie passed away from cancer (F Cancer!) over the weekend.

I still have yet to look at any video. Hoping I got *something* fun to view.

• kwthom
            kwthom commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep, weather deities smiled upon us greatly. As we were leaving the Reno area, forecasters were predicting a cold wind and precipitation descending on the region during the middle of the week. I noted the rain during the football game a few hundred miles further to the north...

Glad I dodged THAT for certain!

• RoadRat
            RoadRat commented
            Editing a comment
            Ken you're a lucky man that your wife likes/enjoys going on rides & trips with you. Tried 1/2 dozen times on short 50-100 mi rides with my wife and its definitely not her cup of tea. Five minutes out of the driveway it starts------how long before we get there, it's hot, it's cold, etc. etc. When I did a 4500 mi trip back to AR and when I got home I had 1 day of vacation time left and she asked me what I was going to do and I said I was going to ride over to Pismo (350 mi round trip) for fish & chips. She looked at me and said the their was something wrong with me. lol I will say that she has never complained about my times on the bike

• kwthom
            kwthom commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes I am, Paul...though she did like the thought of being off the bike for a couple of days while we were visiting family in SoCal.

Confession time...

Thursday, I really hadn't planned for much more than 'southbound along CA-1 until SLO'. When I bought fuel there, I'd recalled looking at CA-58 on the map, but I'd confused it with CA-166, before it leads into CA-33, which was really the last road I'd really wanted to ride this trip.

Western end of CA-58 was fun, but when I'd gotten into the oil patch, I knew I'd screwed up my routing. We'd made a quick stop in Taft ([email protected], what a hole!) before heading south to finally get to CA-33/CA-166.

Fun day of riding...but three of them in a row may have been close to excessive.

Working on blog updates, then I'll post up the video I've processed so far.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page