X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pooch
    replied
    I made it to the Alamo and Big Bend National Park in Texas so far this year.

Leave a comment:

• Drgsin
    replied
    Planning on taking my first two up with the wife next month. Never had a comfortable bike for her to ride on until this Wing. Doing a 4 day trip, to Linville NC, Maggie Valley NC and Tellico TN, hitting the Blue Ridge pkwy and Cherohala skwy. Longest leg is less than 500 miles so hopefully her booty will endure the new GW seat. lol. I pray it doesnt rain because she's miserable when she gets wet...but ive figured out the mute button on the cardos, so its all good.

Leave a comment:

• kwthom
    commented on 's reply
    Grangeville looked to be a really cool place to base a few day-rides out of in that region.

• RoadRat
    commented on 's reply
    Enjoy and safe travels

• kwthom
    replied
    So, two months later has confirmed the first half of the year:

Atomic 1000 on April 6th.

May 2 thru 6 - chasing a train in southern Wyoming for a day or so.

A weekend here or there, nothing too far, since my wife's busy time is summer.

Leave a comment:

• RoadRat
    commented on 's reply
    Yes riding over the mountain passes on Memorial Day can get dicey. For yrs. I would always ride over Tioga Pass 10,000' elev. in Yosemite a couple of days after it opened up as it was like riding through a winter wonderland. One yr. it opened up on Memorial weekend and the weather forecast was for clear & sunny skies so I loaded up the bike and took off from Fresno. Beautiful day for a ride until I got about 1/2 way into the Tioga Pass road, hwy 120, and the snow started. Snowed the rest of the way into Lee Vining where I was able to stop at a restaurant and thaw out and drink lots of coffee. As soon as I returned home the first thing I did was buy some heated gear that I sure could have used on that day.

• GWRider
    commented on 's reply
    If you do come up here to Idaho I would recommend US Highway 12 from Lolo, MT to Lewiston, ID or vice versa. However, I have been caught in a snow storm over Lolo Pass, but luckly it was not covering the road. This was over Memorial Day weekend and a year prior it was 90 degrees over the same pass. The same thing happed to me 12 years later over the same weekend south of Lolo, MT heading to home and traveling south on US93 towards Sun Valley when overnight there was a snow storm on Lost Trail Pass between Idaho and Montana that had covered the road. Really scary 10mph ride in 2nd gear for 14 miles from the north base of the pass in MT to the south base of the pass in ID. Riding the pass earlier than mid to end of May would be dicey. But hey, it's a really scenic ride!

Have a great summer of riding.

• GWRider
    commented on 's reply
    Yes! The Rattlesnake above Hells Canyon! And don't forget US Highway 12 from Lewiston ID (or Walla Walla, WA) to Lolo, MT

• RoadRat
    commented on 's reply
    Have fun wherever you point that bike and yes to Idaho as that state has lots to offer a motorcyclist.

• kwthom
    replied
    Well...interesting thread, I'm a bit late, but that's okay.

My bike has yet to move in 2019! Amazing, I know - but hope to get on it today or tomorrow.

Trips for 2019, huh? Good question...since I was a bit tied up with one particular ride late last summer, I told my wife we'll do *something* - or a couple somethings this year.

I've always enjoyed my (brief) excursions into Idaho, and I keep telling myself I need to get back there. My wife has a window from mid-April to mid-May for a trip, so it might have to be one that 'finishes' our trips to cover all of the west coast.

A real early moto trip we did years ago got us as far as Eureka/Arcata, so maybe heading north from there along the coast and seeing if we can get to Washington might be fun. Again, weather may have to play into when that's possible.

Those Arkansas ride-alongs also seem to be a good time...but, there's a train trip (mentioned in another thread) that would also happen around the same time in April - I'd really like to try and see if it's possible. That might be one of those selfish trips I end up taking without my wife.

The last one...another trip done years ago was truncated slightly, but we'd done a loop to SD, then over to Montana, then back home by way of Utah. It was truncated because of an unexpected family tragedy. I described the trip here: https://kwthom.blogspot.com/2010/06/...june-2010.html

I mentioned to my wife that I'd like a do-over on this one, and she agrees. Maybe we'll pencil in this one as the long trip this year, but I'd have to check weather for late August or early September.

Leave a comment:

• clayusmcret
    replied
    Originally posted by RoadRat View Post
    Clay, wishing you much enjoyment in your upcoming retirement and whatever riding plans you decide on.
    Thanks!!

Leave a comment:

• RoadRat
    replied
    Clay, wishing you much enjoyment in your upcoming retirement and whatever riding plans you decide on.

Leave a comment:

• clayusmcret
    replied
    A year ago I would have said we were riding to Alaska in July. Four months ago I would have said sadly Alaska is out but I was riding out to Tacoma, WA from NC - same timeframe.

Over the past several days I've decided to retire at the end of June. The only thing left is to get past the "we can" discussion to "we are" with the wife.

Bottom line: right now? Not a freaking clue.

Leave a comment:

• RoadRat
    commented on 's reply
    I've done the Rattlesnake many yrs ago while visiting my friends in Enterprise OR. The town of Joseph OR is very interesting with its bronze works and also Hells Canyon. That entire area has a lot to offer a motorcycle rider.

• Gizmo
    replied
    Originally posted by RoadRat View Post
    Well it looks like 2018 has one foot out the door and 2019 has one foot in the door. I hope everyone had a safe and enjoyable 2018 riding year and it would be nice to hear everyone's plans/dreams for 2019. The following are just a few for me.

3 or 4 days around Olympic Nat'l Park in WA
    Crater Lake in OR, been there many times but it never gets old
    Mt Rainier Nat'l Park & surrounding scenic roads
    Some 2&3 day rides along the OR & WA coast
    Possible Rockies Gold
    Would like to get back to AR to ride in the Ozarks again
    Hwy 2 over Stevens Pass in WA and check out Leavenworth on hwy 2 which was recommended by a friend
    Hwy 20 through the North Cascades Nat'l Park
    Meet up with my 3 riding buddies from UT and do some 3-4 day rides to points unknown right now
    I use this site for a reference along with friends recommendations
    http://www.motorcycleroads.com/
    Seeing that I have only lived in Vancouver WA for 1 year I have a lot of exploring to do in WA

I hope everyone has some great rides planned for 2019
    Cheers

The PNW is wonderful for motorcycling and the places you mention are some of the best. I also enjoy eastern Washington and eastern Oregon a lot. Don't miss The Rattlesnake!

Leave a comment:

• Gizmo
    replied
    A few of the things left on my bucket list are.....
    A. IBA ride of 49 states in 10 days
    B. Go to Wyoming, Colorado and Utah again.
    C. Spend more time in western Montana and Idaho.
    D. Explore the far northern areas of Manitoba and Saskatchewan on my KLR....I don't know why!

Leave a comment:

• 530ktm
    replied
    Those rides sound like some great excursions. I have not made it to the planning stage yet for the bike but hopefully something will pan out. Enjoy the rides.

Leave a comment:

• RoadRat
    started a topic 2019 Riding Year

2019 Riding Year

Well it looks like 2018 has one foot out the door and 2019 has one foot in the door. I hope everyone had a safe and enjoyable 2018 riding year and it would be nice to hear everyone's plans/dreams for 2019. The following are just a few for me.

3 or 4 days around Olympic Nat'l Park in WA
    Crater Lake in OR, been there many times but it never gets old
    Mt Rainier Nat'l Park & surrounding scenic roads
    Some 2&3 day rides along the OR & WA coast
    Possible Rockies Gold
    Would like to get back to AR to ride in the Ozarks again
    Hwy 2 over Stevens Pass in WA and check out Leavenworth on hwy 2 which was recommended by a friend
    Hwy 20 through the North Cascades Nat'l Park
    Meet up with my 3 riding buddies from UT and do some 3-4 day rides to points unknown right now
    I use this site for a reference along with friends recommendations
    http://www.motorcycleroads.com/
    Seeing that I have only lived in Vancouver WA for 1 year I have a lot of exploring to do in WA

I hope everyone has some great rides planned for 2019
    Cheers

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page