Personal Safety on Long Trips

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal Safety on Long Trips

Hey Everyone, been thinking about the lonely stretches of road out West, anything can happen. Please provide reasons for and against packing a handgun for personal protection on long solo/two up rides. Thanks for your inputs.

And yes, Rocky, I'll make my own decision! ;-) Checking what others thoughts and experiences have been to make a more informed decision.

I don't want to start a war here but IMO, the biggest problem is carrying in states that don't honor your states permit. Read the laws for the states you are going to. Federal law says transporting firearm must be in locked case separate from the ammo. I just use different saddlebags. Keep it well concealed on your person and shouldn't be a problem.
    DS#1146 IBA#55800 50CC,BBG, BB1500 x2, SS2K, SS1Kx3 CERTIFIED ALL DS, PGR RC
    2010 Level3 Endeavor Reverse Trike BS Driveguard

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Originally posted by Lewtrain View Post
      Hey Everyone, been thinking about the lonely stretches of road out West, anything can happen. Please provide reasons for and against packing a handgun for personal protection on long solo/two up rides. Thanks for your inputs.

And yes, Rocky, I'll make my own decision! ;-) Checking what others thoughts and experiences have been to make a more informed decision.
      Seeing you called me out. JA.

I have never had a reason to pack my Glock on a road trip. (I have a valid Mancard)

Give respect & you'll get Respect. (Try it sometime)

It's paramount to know ALL State laws pertaining to carrying while passing through their state.

I use what I call my "Scatter Bike" when on group rides to clear the slow moving traffic out of our path.

Click image for larger version

Name:	b84abdd0aac9db0c59e9c9af531b9858--fani-post-apocalyptic.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	106354

I made one for the Wife, No reason why she shouldn't have some fun too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	9aefda67102274028c5eaf1fcd9ba75d.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	311.6 KB
ID:	106353

You may not like the truth but that don't change it!

There has to be a constant flow of Tools on a bus out there?.
      One gets tired and gets off, another two jump on the band wagon.(Fine entertainment at its best)

• Rocky
        Rocky commented
        Editing a comment
        I read your comment to her, She asked "What's your Point?"

• Lewtrain
        Lewtrain commented
        Editing a comment
        Where does she carry all the ammo for those "Big Guns"??? No bags on the bike, and certainly not in her tank top! ;-) Or maybe? ;-)

• Rocky
        Rocky commented
        Editing a comment
        Do you not see the Amo box under her left leg????
        Look at the bike instead of my Killer Wife!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was much more worried about places in the east coast, rather than stuff out here, on my last big ride.

Besides, I never let people know when or if I carry.

• Lewtrain
        Lewtrain commented
        Editing a comment
        Ok, sounds like a bit of watching too many movies, overthinking things, etc. Thanks for the feedback guys.

It's a tool like any other tool. If you have a break down it's nice to have the tools to fix things.
      kiptap - Paul
      Bolingbrook, IL (Greater Chicago Area)
      1979 Kawasaki Z 200
      1981 Kawasaki GPZ 550
      1996 Honda GL 1500SE
      2018 Honda GL 1800DJ

If you carry,know how to use your weapon proficiently.
        Practice, practice, practice.
        I have seen to many videos of dumbazzes that just start blazing away.
        Watch the one with the old guy in Florida that decides to shoot at a robber at an internet cafe.
        He shot everything,but the robber.
        Hard to believe he didn't kill innocent people.
        Also do it legally!
        Being macho man carrying illegaly doesn't mean crap in front of a judge.

• Rocky
          Rocky commented
          Editing a comment
          Your comment reminds me of several LEO's shooting 69 bullets into the suspects car after a chase.
          The suspect was only wounded in the arm. (Single hit)

Spending time at a range is paramount to save who you are trying to protect,while acting Rambo! lol

The bottom line is it's an individual choice. But my own way of thinking is if someone made the effort to get a concealed carry permit and then buy a weapon, but doesn't carry, it's like buying a toolbox, stocking it with the best tools of your choice and then locking it away in a closet; guaranteeing you'll never have them on you when your life (literally) depends on it. It's an individual choice to have your tools handy or not. If the decision is consistently Not, why buy the tools.
        2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
        USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
        US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
        2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
        2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

I agree 100%
          If I am somewhere and the crap goes down,I certainly dont want to have to worry about the perp and some other person doing a Barney Fife imitation.

Originally posted by Pooch View Post
            I don't want to start a war here but - Federal law says transporting firearm must be in locked case separate from the ammo. I just use different saddlebags. Keep it well concealed on your person and shouldn't be a problem.
            Kind of my thinking as well, and I never advertise what I have in my bags or on my person.

Dave - Arizona - 2012/GL1800

I ride a lot by myself. A lot of times I ride late into the night. Its very common for me to go for miles without seeing a single car in either direction on the highway. If a breakdown where to occur, Im alone until help can arrive. We all know that could be an hour or longer. I carry for both the two legged and four legged threat when I ride.

• kiptap
                kiptap commented
                Editing a comment
                "and four legged threat"

Two ugly girls looking for husbands?

• kwthom
                kwthom commented
                Editing a comment
                ...and yet, I've been in similar places (by myself, late into the night...) and I know as long as I'm moving, I'm in about as 'safe' of a place as I could be.

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by six....eehhh

Originally posted by clayusmcret View Post
                It's an individual choice to have your tools handy or not. If the decision is consistently Not, why buy the tools.
                As you know, if it were only as easy for a law-abiding citizen to be able to freely travel with that tool in every jurisdiction they choose to travel to.

Which may or may not be appropriate to the discussion about having that tool available on a ride "the lonely stretches of road out west", per the OP's initial post.

Since this thread has yet to be booted to the OTE area, I'll stop here.

• Lewtrain
                  Lewtrain commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I understand that the routing of a trip would have to take into consideration the carrying of the gun or not...I'll research it, but in those states that don't have reciprocity with Wisconsin (my home state), one would still be able to transport it, as suggested earlier, gun in one bag in a case unloaded, and ammo in the other bag, etc.

Originally posted by kwthom View Post
                As you know, if it were only as easy for a law-abiding citizen to be able to freely travel with that tool in every jurisdiction they choose to travel to.

Which may or may not be appropriate to the discussion about having that tool available on a ride "the lonely stretches of road out west", per the OP's initial post.

Since this thread has yet to be booted to the OTE area, I'll stop here.
                Aye.
                2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
                USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
                US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
                2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
                2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

Thank you all for your responses. I find it telling that no one replied with a time when they needed their gun. "I was putting my rain gear on in Alaska and an animal needed encouragement to ignore me..." or "Someone was messing with my ride and I encouraged them to pick another sucker..." or some such story. I get the feeling that, as kwthom said, as long as you're rolling, you're pretty safe. I will take all your responses into consideration and again thank you for sharing your experiences.

I've had some panhandlers at gas stops that can't understand the "no I don't carry cash" but nothing serious enough to pull a weapon.
                    DS#1146 IBA#55800 50CC,BBG, BB1500 x2, SS2K, SS1Kx3 CERTIFIED ALL DS, PGR RC
                    2010 Level3 Endeavor Reverse Trike BS Driveguard

Originally posted by Lewtrain View Post
                      Thank you all for your responses. I find it telling that no one replied with a time when they needed their gun. "I was putting my rain gear on in Alaska and an animal needed encouragement to ignore me..." or "Someone was messing with my ride and I encouraged them to pick another sucker..." or some such story. I get the feeling that, as kwthom said, as long as you're rolling, you're pretty safe. I will take all your responses into consideration and again thank you for sharing your experiences.
                      Most riders have not yet needed the protection of a helmet either, but I will continue to wear mine regardless of that.
                      Some tools you only need once in a lifetime to justify having them at the ready every day.

• kwthom
                        kwthom commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Well, almost 30 years ago, I had the opportunity to use a helmet for what it's primary design was for...and I'm still (mostly - ha!) here!

Kudos to all that replied for keeping the topic civil.

Those "lonely stretches of road out west" are probably the safest places to ride. 99.999% of the people would help you instead of hurt you.

Originally posted by Gizmo View Post
                          Those "lonely stretches of road out west" are probably the safest places to ride. 99.999% of the people would help you instead of hurt you.
                          That may be true,but it is the 001% that could hurt or kill you.
                          Then you would wish you had protection.

• kwthom
                            kwthom commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Yes, but the probability that you are physically in a location that a potential event that might lead a rational person to consider the use of deadly force - pretty damn small.

Since your state is one of 13 that don't recognize my permit... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Originally posted by flat6bagger View Post

That may be true,but it is the 001% that could hurt or kill you.
                          Then you would wish you had protection.
                          I suppose I could have added even more zeros to my percentage but I made my point. Over 40 years and 400,000 miles of riding, with a great majority of those miles on the very roads we are talking about, never once have I felt threatened in the west or anywhere else for that matter. I do not ride in fear.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page