Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For the Train-Geeks out there...

Dragging this conversation over here as well...

Hmmm...

http://www.thedrive.com/news/21551/u...eam-locomotive

https://www.atlasobscura.com/article...eam-locomotive

"... with the intention of having it ready by May 10, 2019, the 150th anniversary of the completion of the Transcontinental Railroad."

Where are they going to go to - Ogden?? There's no longer track out to Promontory, I don't think - although there's enough track *at* Promontory to run the trains for the demonstration of the event.

Now, I'm thinking there's gonna be a ton of people out there, no matter when this thing hits the tracks.

"Bush expects train enthusiasts and history buffs from around the world to line the tracks from Wyoming to Utah when the Big Boy makes its first run in 60 years."

I'm also thinking they'll most definitely have to do some trial runs. I'm betting their goal is to have it operational in late March/early April (four to six weeks before the event)

They'll do their test runs along track east of Cheyenne...some YouTube of a shake-down run on 844 from early 2017:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=whcHZntoduE

Now, *this* might be the time (away from the 150th celebration) to really check things out.

Does anybody have a lead on where some detailed conversation of this might be taking place?

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Great story about this giant being restored. I walked on this #4014 several times over the years when it was at Pomona Fairgrounds in California and I remember well when they came in and hauled it away for the journey to Wyoming for the restoration. It is a monster. After riding the narrow gauge railroad at Chama, New Mexico and Colorado recently, I can not imagine how much black smoke must have poured from the stack on this thing. The oil is certainly an improvement for the pollution factor.
      Dave - Arizona - 2012/GL1800

Another confirmation of what'll happen in Ogden:

"UP steam manager Ed Dickens said the restored Big Boy as well as 4-8-4 No. 844 will travel to Ogden, Utah, for the celebration. He said the engines will re-enact the scene made famous by the two American-type locomotives, the Central Pacific Jupiter and UP 119 on May 10, 1869 at Promontory Summit. Ogden is the closest UP point to Promontory, where the railroad was abandoned during World War II."

Trains magazine offers railroad news, railroad industry insight, commentary on today's freight railroads, passenger service (Amtrak), locomotive technology, railroad preservation and history, railfan opportunities (tourist railroads, fan trips), and great railroad photography.

I'm reading elsewhere...oh, crap - there's gonna be a *ton* of humanity out there to watch this thing! It's gonna be a circus From Cheyenne to Ogden and back.

Only 1000 miles from home to Cheyenne. If I'm doing this, I have to make reservations *now*.

Ken, I'm about 120 miles from there, this will be the weekend after my Big Bend trip.
            DS#1146 IBA#55800 50CC,BBG, BB1500 x2, SS2K, SS1Kx3 CERTIFIED ALL DS, PGR RC
            2010 Level3 Endeavor Reverse Trike

I have to do the first weekend - the weekend that 4014 Big Boy moves to Ogden. I am busy after May 8...so the actual celebrations I'll have to look for on-line. Looks like the chase will be on May 4 & 5...by the afternoon of the 5th, we'll be heading home.

I did get rooms. I think my wife is joining me for this little excursion, and if so, there won't be any IBA rides accomplished, we'll go into touring mode.

http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire...comotive-visit

Gonna be a circus!!

My Sat night lodging is in Rock springs.

From Trains magazine...sorry, had to edit out the pics

Trains magazine chase guide to Big Boy No. 4014's Cheyenne-Ogden route, May 2019

So, it’s less than a month away from the day when Union Pacific Big Boy No. 4014 leaves Cheyenne, Wyo., on its epic inaugural journey across original Big Boy territory to Ogden, Utah. I can’t believe it. You can’t believe it. But believe it. It’s going to happen.

A lot of people are coming from a long way to see this. Most have not been to this part of the UP before. So, let’s get you some suggested locations for viewing and photography. Let’s take the westbound trek first.

Cheyenne. Southwest Drive at I-80 Business. This is the famous crossing with the Burlington Route bridge in the background.

Otto Road. There’s a pull off just after the tracks pass under I-80.

Speer. There are a surprising number of public roads in the industrial park at the top of the hill at I-25 Exit 4. Get back to Berwick Drive. Bring a stepladder and watch over the fence separating UP property. Given the mid-morning departure, this may be some of the best sun when the engine is pointed south until much later in the day.

Tie siding. Use county road 222 to reach this spot from either the Ames Monument off I-80 or U.S. 287.

Laramie. A footbridge over the tracks next to the station has always been a fan favorite.

Bosler to Medicine Bow. Plenty of shots from U.S. 30 all along the way.

Hanna. Plenty of open spaces here.

Creston. Crossing of the continental divide at 7,044 feet and entry into a bowl-shaped bit of geography. Good overhead images from highway 789 on the east side of this location, as above.

Red Desert. Exit 165 off I-80 west. Plenty of viewing here at the site where Big Boy No. 4005 derailed.

Tipton. Crossing of the continental divide at 6,996 feet. It’s the west side of the bowl.

Bitter Creek. Exit 142 off I-80. It’s a ways back off the highway, which may lend itself to fewer people.

Point of Rocks. A frontage road follows I-80 west of here. Take it.

Peru Hill. Leaving Green River going west, this long grade crests near the I-80 underpass. View the climb from the highway 37 bridge.

Granger. You can shoot an ordinary shot here, as with this westbound intermodal, above, but the benefit is in its remoteness from I-80.

Carter. Nothing out of the ordinary but again, away from the masses. Note: DO NOT try to drive Leroy Road west of here following the tracks or you will be sorry.

Leroy. Exit 24 off I-80 to Leroy road north to the junction of road 32 and the grade crossing. This was the start of the old line to Piedmont.

East approach to Aspen / Altamont tunnels. Exit 24 off I-80 to Piedmont Road, then west on county road 180 to an underpass.

Evanston-Wahsatch. Take Wasatch Road (yes, they’re spelled differently) that follows the tracks to the top of the grade.

Castle Rock. Big hillside that is a perfect overlook for you and 500 of your friends. Take exit 185 and enjoy the show. Remember, the tracks crossover each other on a bridge out of sight at Curvo just up the hill so that what was a train on the right side of a double track main line is now going to be on the left side from here all the way into Ogden.

Emory. Take exit 178 off I-80 but be prepared to be stuck on Echo Canyon Road behind a traffic jam.

I-80 West welcome center / rest area. Magnificent majestic view. Plenty of parking. Restrooms. Snacks and drinks. Need we say more?

Devil’s Slide. Pull off and viewing area for this odd geographic formation, but watch out for the fence that separates the parking lot from the tracks.

That’s my recommendations for the westbound chase.

Going eastbound remember that trains leave Ogden running left-hand main and the tracks cross over each other on a bridge at the inaccessible spot called Curvo, just below the summit of Wasatch Grade.

The first good spot eastbound is the I-84 rest area not far out of Ogden.

Double bridges. Take Exit 92 then an immediate right to a dead end road. A nice hillside overlooks the whole scene. I decided to climb it in 2014.

Taggarts double tunnels / double bridges. Take exit 108 and follow the old road to the bridges. DO NOT cross the tracks. (After this shot, if you’re done, go back under the Interstate to Taggart’s Grill. Tell them we sent you.)

Henefer. Exit 112, follow the road to creekside.

Henefer to Echo along old U.S. 30 / Henefer Road / Echo Road. Take Exit 115 and turn left. The road follows the tracks on a hillside all the way to Echo. See photo above.

Echo to Emory along old U.S. 30. It’s spectacular. It will be crowded. Go early. Stake your claim. Stick to your spot. You get a reward. Come late and plan to be watching taillights. (alternatively, take I-80 to Castle Rock, double back to the Utah Welcome Center/ I-80 West rest area and watch the show from above [see notation on the westbound chase above])

Castle Rock. See the notation for the westbound chase, but remember that the train will be on the mainline perched high on the side of the bluff. Check out the pic we got in 2014.

Wahsatch. Exit 191. Watch the train crest the grade here or follow Wasatch Road into Evanston. Remember, the trains cross at Curvo, so your target is now on the closest main to you.

Leroy, Carter, Granger. See entries for westbound chase.

Peru Hill eastbound. I-80 to Exit 83. Left over the bridge, then a left again onto road 374. I love the decaying snow fence, as in the image from the 2014 chase, above.

Green River, Airport Road. Take I-80 to Exit 111, then south to the crossing. Or take the frontage road that runs all the way to Point of Rocks.

Tipton, Red Desert, Creston. See westbound chase notes. The above is the eastbound view of No. 4014 dropping downgrade from Tipton.

Sinclair. Home of the dino the dinosaur refinery. Take I-80 out of Rawlins and immediately exit for road 76 into Sinclair. Follow through town to the overhead bridge on the east side.

Hanna. Good photos on the east side of town where the U.S. 30 bridge crosses the tracks.

Tie Siding, Buford. Exit 335 off I-80.

Granite.Exit 342 off I-80 to frontage road.

Otto Road. Exit 348. This road follows the tracks into Cheyenne. It was a parking lot in 2014 when the dead 4014 came home. No reason to believe it would be anything different in 2019 with a live specimen, but if you come early, you can get a spot and watch the grande finale of the greatest show on rails for 2019.

Please remember, stay off railroad property. Stay off private property. Drive safely and sanely. Keep at least 15 feet back from the tracks, and help your fellows do the same. We’ll see you there!

Man! I wish I could be there to see that!!
                    George, High in the hills of Jersey!

Originally posted by Offcenter View Post
                      Man! I wish I could be there to see that!!
                      Yeah me too but it's a bit far for a road trip from NJ
                      Martin

• kwthom
                        kwthom commented
                        Editing a comment
                        People may be coming from around the world to see this...gonna be a zoo, but that will be part of the fun of doing it.

THE FIRE IS LIT!!!
                      This photo of the Big Boy in the steam shop shows
                      smoke coming from the stack!!!!
                      For the first time in 60 years!!!!

Click the photo for large version.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot from 2019-04-22 20-05-44.png Views:	2 Size:	566.4 KB ID:	113303

My understanding is that is house steam at that time not fired steam.

Apparently still need Federal certificate to put it on the rails.

They still might be able to get a test done in the next few days.

EDIT: Blog on the ride here as it happens: https://kwthom.blogspot.com/2019/04/...run-again.html

Reassembly continues at a furious rate - apparently, there's a LOT of discussion - and photos - on FB.

Will it be ready to go in less than a week?

Found some Kewl youtube videos of this

http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire...sion-announced
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akvLweWOd0g
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6ioWHf68Rs
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSG2v7uZjz4
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd5WbDEp1Vk
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzCebWY0sZA
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nZ3it0q_gg

************************************************** *******
                            You may not like the truth but that don't change it!

When Life hands you a Curve - Lean into it!!.

Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
                            "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".

I've been following the rebuild on 4014 Big Boy. The machine was taken out of service when I was 5 yr old. Maybe some day I will see this one in person
                              2013 Red Airbag 1800

• kwthom
                                kwthom commented
                                Editing a comment
                                My intent is to see it in less than a week...

A leisurely trip up that way for this begins tomorrow...

Spotwalla link will be there at the blog.

It has happened!!

The Big Boy made it's first test run yesterday!!!
                                Leaving the yard:
                                https://youtu.be/qMNOnduYV3M
                                Out on the main line:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvKfu_EGZIk
                                The first Big Boy to move under it's own power in 60 years!!

Laramie, WY station arrival

Near Sinclair, Wyoming

I will have more on the blog in the coming days...right now, some minor issues around the homestead need to be resolved.

Awesome pictures Ken, thanks for posting and I'm looking forward to reading the blog when it's finished.
                                    Location: Vancouver WA Former name: CAWING '04 GL1800
                                    When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
                                    Jimi Hendrix
                                    Vietnam Veteran, Patriot Guard Rider

• kwthom
                                      kwthom commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      Thanks, Paul...I had a blast, and I think my wife did as well.
                                  Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page