X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LD Rider
    started a topic 2018 Bite The Wieenie

2018 Bite The Wieenie

The 2018 Long Distance motorcycle riding season is coming to a chilly close. And goodness, some of us West Coast riders are even crankin’ up our heated gear in these low 60 degree F evenings with a wind chill of 30. (at least that’s what it feels like.)

Most regional LD and 24-hour rallies, Saddle Sores, Bun Burners, BBGs, 50CCs, 100CCCs, UCC, B2Bs, 48++ and any combination of Extreme rides are in the bag. It’s time to have a little non-competitive fun!!

The 19th annual Bite the Wieenie
    November 17, 2018
    Pinks Hot Dogs
    709 N. La Brea Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90038
    10:00PM-1:00AM

Bite the Wieeenie is not a membership based event. It is open to riders of all idiosyncrasies.

Make this a major motorcycle weekend by attending the IMS Show followed by Bite the Wieeenie. I encourage all riders on the West Coast and beyond to attend the Progressive International Motorcycle Show at the Long Beach Convention Center then after it closes, ride ~20 miles to Pink's Hot Dog to BITE THE WIEENIE!

Pink's is a honest-to-goodness Hollywood icon, sub-cultural gathering spot and past IBR bonus location. The establishment knows we're coming and they do care. Whether you're a twerking Mike Kneebone, a demure Lisa Landry, Kim, Khloe, Kourtney or Elvis, everyone waits in line. And the 1-hour+ wait at midnight for a $3.45* chili dog is a unique Hollywood experience.

Jacked up pickups, bouncing lowriders, Porsches, pimpmobiles, junkers and LD motorcycle rigs all share a miniscule parking lot while stretch limos and Hummers circle the block while their contents wait in the 1-hour+ line.

Besides us LDRiders with ATGATT, it would not be unusual to see unique body piercing, facial tattoos, the best body modifications that money can buy, spikes and dreadlocks, prom dresses, grunge street wear and barefoot surfers standing in line.

What kind of person rides 1,000 - 1,500 miles in 24 hours for a hot dog?? We typically get 100+ riders from Vancouver, WA, OR, ID, UT, CO, NV, AZ, NV, NM, TX and FL and the Carolinas.

WHY MIDNIGHT???
    1. Because that's when the beautiful people appear and ohhhh are we sooooo beautiful!!!
    2. Even on a Saturday between 4 and 8 PM LA freeways are parking lots!! Riding into Pink’s between 9-10 PM just might avoid Car-ma-geddon!
    3. And it's a perfect Saddlesore Ride (1,000 miles in 24-hours) for WA, ID, MT, WY, SD, CO, OK, NM, TX. Leave before midnight Friday evening, arrive at Pink's within 24-hours later to get your witness signatures. There will be dozens of witnesses on hand.

Some of you know I’m out of country. My schedule has me home a couple days before the 17th. Please cross post to all IBA, LD, MTF and brand specific riding groups.

Dean Tanji
    Chief Hooligan and "Bite The Wieeenie" Grand Poo Baah
    dtanji@gmail.com

• LD Rider
    replied
    Recap from Dean:

The 18th annual Bite The Wieenie was a rousing success! 54 riders committed themselves to showing up at Pink’s Hot Dogs, Los Angeles, CA this Saturday. Once again we took over the Pink’s Hot Dogs parking lot - 48 bikes!

Many spent the day at the Long Beach International Motorcycle Show then wondered over to Pink’s to Bite The Wieenie.

We are sad to announce that the classic “Three Dog Night” is no longer offered on Pink’s Hot Dog menu. However, there are many new options available.

The long distance ride goes to Martin L Jackson, 2018 BMW K1600GTL, from Thorndale, TX riding 1,700.9 miles. Paul Meye was second on a 2015 Triumph Trophy, 1,625 miles, from Herington, KS, and third was Danny Dossman, Temple, TX covering 1,576 miles. My apologies for any misspelled names, the signatures were not that easy to read.

5 riders rode 1500 bun burners, 6 other riders rode over 1,000 miles to attend.
    There were 48 motorcycles. Manufacture count:
    BMW 18
    Honda 15
    HD 5
    Yamaha 4
    Triumph 2
    KTM, Suzuki, Ducati & Cam-AM 1 each

Riders by State:
    California 23
    New Mexico 10
    Arizona 9
    Texas 3
    Utah 3
    Kansas, Missouri, Nevada, Utah 1 each

Thanks to all for attending. Around midnight the rider friendship and camaraderie was wonderful!

Leave a comment:

• LD Rider
    replied
    Originally posted by Pooch View Post

I made it back to Paragonah, Utah before I needed the nap. I just sat on the back seat and put my feet on the front seat, when I woke up a Highway Patrol pulled into the parking lot. I thought maybe some one called about the dead guy on the bike but he didn't even talk to me.
    I've never been able to sleep on the bike. I've tried the front seat and the back seat but nothing works for me. If I can get up close to a rest area picnic table I'm golden.

Leave a comment:

• LD Rider
    replied
    Originally posted by Pooch View Post
    LDRDR, It was good to meet you!!
    Same here Pooch. I'm sorry we were on our way out when you came up to me. Brenda can't handle the cold or the late hours like she used to, so I have to leave when she is ready to go, but I'm glad you were able to make it. I assume you had a good time?

Leave a comment:

• Pooch
    replied
    Originally posted by LD Rider View Post
    As Ken said, nothing close. I checked the hours of the Hollywood Forever Cemetery and they close at 5 pm so that won't work. There's no other parks in the area that I would recommend as a safe place to crash for a few hours. There are quite a number of fire stations in the area that you might be able to sleep behind, but based upon the number of stations I would guess that they are pretty busy most of the time and I don't know how quiet it would be.

There are several libraries in the area which are usually good for a nice quiet spot to rest your eyes, and they usually have clean bathrooms, but the ones near Pink's all shut down at 5:30 on Saturdays.

I don't know where you're coming from so I can't look at areas along your route that might be feasible for you.

You can always sleep in the shower room of a truck stop for an hour, but I can't guarantee how quiet it would be. And again, you're not going to find one of these close in to Pink's; more like Barstow or way east on I-10.
    I made it back to Paragonah, Utah before I needed the nap. I just sat on the back seat and put my feet on the front seat, when I woke up a Highway Patrol pulled into the parking lot. I thought maybe some one called about the dead guy on the bike but he didn't even talk to me.

Leave a comment:

• Pooch
    replied
    LDRDR, It was good to meet you!!

Leave a comment:

• kwthom
    commented on 's reply
    My guess would be either via Cajon Pass (I-15) or east of there (I-10).

Jim is west of SLC, UT

• LD Rider
    replied
    As Ken said, nothing close. I checked the hours of the Hollywood Forever Cemetery and they close at 5 pm so that won't work. There's no other parks in the area that I would recommend as a safe place to crash for a few hours. There are quite a number of fire stations in the area that you might be able to sleep behind, but based upon the number of stations I would guess that they are pretty busy most of the time and I don't know how quiet it would be.

There are several libraries in the area which are usually good for a nice quiet spot to rest your eyes, and they usually have clean bathrooms, but the ones near Pink's all shut down at 5:30 on Saturdays.

I don't know where you're coming from so I can't look at areas along your route that might be feasible for you.

You can always sleep in the shower room of a truck stop for an hour, but I can't guarantee how quiet it would be. And again, you're not going to find one of these close in to Pink's; more like Barstow or way east on I-10.

Leave a comment:

• kwthom
    commented on 's reply
    There's nothing 'close' to Pink's - 60 - 80 miles out might be considered close.

You've got truck stops near the I-10 / I-15 interchange, as well as a bit east of there at the I-10 & Cherry Ave exit.

See if you can find an isolated trucker's lounge to veg out in for a bit.

Of course, you *could* find one of those $100/hr motel rooms, but I'd not recommend any of them...and, no, I don't have first-hand knowledge of these establishments.

• Pooch
    replied
    I may be able to make it, schedule changed again. If I do make it I will be leaving right after to get home late Sunday night. Can anyone recommend a place for nap close to Pink's before the event?

Leave a comment:

• LD Rider
    replied
    Just a bump to remind folks.

Leave a comment:

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page