Home Siding Identification

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Siding Identification

Sometimes, the stuff I've seen answered here is pretty remarkable. So much so, I'm going to try it.

This is the siding sheets on the sides and rear of my house. There's some of this that needs replacement, soon. Not an entire panel, just toward the bottom where water has beat it up a bit for nearly 30 years. You'd think my homeowners association could lend a hand and come up with an answer....oh, hell no. Why I pay them is amazing, right?

What I'm trying to learn is it seems this siding was made with this swirly pattern to it. Built here in the southwest, circa 1990. I'm in a neighborhood of 500+ houses with this stuff. It's cheap, I get it - that's why I have pieces of it that need replacement.

Anybody know the actual name of this? Who in the hell made it? I don't want to remove it, until I can see if there's a fighting chance to find replacement stock

Thanks!

I've got a couple of people at the local Home Despot that looked at those photos. Long-timers in the area. What a cluster!

Both of these guys at H-D mentioned that some builders around these parts might actually do some semblance of this, just for a visual differentiation. Of course, they're buying a train-car load of material to build a subdivision per year, probably. I'm finding it really, really difficult to think this was what happened (manual application of this for aesthetics)

I *think* I have a single 'real' lumber yard in a community of a million - only open M-F. I'm betting they may not sell to the public.

The Home Despot crew did show me Hardie that's not exactly finished the same. The one guy mentioned maybe using an epoxy-like material in order to create a similar pattern to get it close. If only a few places, maybe...

Gotta think Masonite-like replacement material is out there - I just have to source it.

I don't start this project until next week. Getting ready for my moto weekend getaway...just trying to do a bit of research before next week.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Hey Ken it looks like run of the mill siding with a skim coat on it, almost looks like cool deck.....

good of luck with your quest....

mattbcnv
      2018 Pearl Stallion Brown DCT

Masonite made the stuff in California. Plant went belly-up about 1999 or 2000 and closed. Much of it was due to litigation around the warranty guarantee on this and other types of similar wood-based products.

There's a Hardie material that looks similar, but not exact to what this stuff looks like. Don't matter, got a bit of this stuff that needs replacement, a job I should be able to accomplish fairly easily.

Home-ownership for the win!

Originally posted by kwthom View Post
          Masonite made the stuff in California. Plant went belly-up about 1999 or 2000 and closed. Much of it was due to litigation around the warranty guarantee on this and other types of similar wood-based products.

There's a Hardie material that looks similar, but not exact to what this stuff looks like. Don't matter, got a bit of this stuff that needs replacement, a job I should be able to accomplish fairly easily.

Home-ownership for the win!
          If you're not selling anytime soon an exact match isn't all that important. Close is important, but exact? Naah.
          2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
          USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
          US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
          2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
          2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

Took my wife outside & showed here the plan, and she's signed-off on the task. We'll have rain here starting tomorrow night, then about a week of clear once this weather passes thru on Wednesday.

So, should be able to begin the project Thursday.

Besides, my dad's itching for something to do.

EDIT: Jeez...this should be a *fun* time! :D

Day one in the books. Procured material, got the game-plan ironed out, got a single panel replaced in about two hours, which should easily drop to an hour once we get thru tomorrow's hurdle - the door.

Removal:

Replacement:

Nine more segments to go. Door and panels adjacent to them should be 'fun'.

Project going well...day off because after six days of solving all sorts of issues, I'm sore!

Out of frame to the left is the back door; replacement of the door frame took a little longer than expected, but once done, we're back on the original path.

I *think* we get finished in two days.

Done - well, still some caulking a a bit of painting to do:

A little love up front accomplished as well:

Had the help of my 79 year old dad on the job...think it turned out well.

Nice work. We had LP siding that started to delam a few years ago. Had pre-painted Hardieplank and Hardieboard (to replace all the crappy cedar trim), and Hardie shake shingles installed in a few places.
                    Three years later it still looks new. I clean it with a high pressure hose and viola! New house.

Repair started on Mar 1...last bit of exterior painting in the repaired area to be finished this afternoon.

I have other nit-picking tasks to do as part of it - photos a bit later.

From yesterday...

Touch-up paint & final tie-down of the coax lines done this morning - only exterior painting left is the door.

Cleaned up some other issues on the inside of that doorway today; it too is ready for paint.

I *think* I get 99% done tomorrow. Good thing, since I have out-of-town guests coming a week from today!

Looks great!!
                          2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
                          USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
                          US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
                          2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
                          2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

• kwthom
                            kwthom commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I think it turned out well for what it was - a repair.

Now, the fun of prepping for paint - ack!

Last task to do is to install the security door...won't take long & I'll need another set of hands to do it.

Working...
                          X