Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got a call from my doctor.

My PSA number is 0.94!!! It went down, If only I can figure out what I did to make it go down.
    Anyway, not bad for an old

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for few public officials." (George Mason, 3 Elliot, Debates at 425-426)

What is this PSA of which you refer?

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Originally posted by Z-Man View Post
      What is this PSA of which you refer?
      Knowing that you are a young stud, the PSA is:

"Prostate-specific antigen (PSA) is a substance produced by the prostate gland. Elevated PSA levels may indicate prostate cancer, a noncancerous condition such as prostatitis, or an enlarged prostate.
      Most men have PSA levels under four (ng/mL) and this has traditionally been used as the cutoff for concern about the risk of prostate cancer. Men with prostate cancer often have PSA levels higher than four, although cancer is a possibility at any PSA level. According to published reports, men who have a prostate gland that feels normal on examination and a PSA less than four have a 15% chance of having prostate cancer. Those with a PSA between four and 10 have a 25% chance of having prostate cancer and if the PSA is higher than 10, the risk increases and can be as high as 67%.
      In the past, most experts viewed PSA levels less than 4 ng/mL as normal. Due to the findings from more recent studies, some recommend lowering the cutoff levels that determine if a PSA value is normal or elevated. Some researchers encourage using less than 2.5 or 3 ng/mL as a cutoff for normal values, particularly in younger patients. Younger patients tend to have smaller prostates and lower PSA values, so any elevation of the PSA in younger men above 2.5 ng/mL is a cause for concern.
      Just as important as the PSA number is the trend of that number (whether it is going up, how quickly, and over what period of time). It is important to understand that the PSA test is not perfect. Most men with elevated PSA levels have noncancerous prostate enlargement, which is a normal part of aging. Conversely, low levels of PSA in the bloodstream do not rule out the possibility of prostate cancer. However, most cases of early prostate cancer are found by a PSA blood test."
      The prostate specific antigen (PSA) test is used to measure blood PSA levels and help detect prostate cancer or other prostate abnormalities. Learn more about the PSA blood test at WebMD.

This is one site explanation. There are many with basically the same info. Be advised though, an elevated PSA number could be indicative of a virus in the prostate.

One friend had a number off the chart and has gone through cancer treatment, which has shown to be successful thus far. Originally one doctor just wanted to cut out the tumor instead of shrinking it.

Another friend had similar symptoms and was going thru the same tests when it was found out he had a virus. If he had believe the first battery of test he either would be under the knife or be a visitor at the as my other friend was,which is very good from what I an told. They are all over the country.
      "I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for few public officials." (George Mason, 3 Elliot, Debates at 425-426)

Geez. I'm glad it went down. Keep an eye on it.

Originally posted by Lone Ranger View Post
          My PSA number is 0.94!!! It went down, If only I can figure out what I did to make it go down.
          Anyway, not bad for an old

As a former drug rep, I know enough to be dangerous. This is good information for any male over 50. All men supposedly will get prostate cancer if they live long enough. Normally something else kills us first. Hope this shed some light on it.

7 factors which can raise your PSA levels:
          1. History of an enlarged prostate
          2. Older age: PSA levels increase with age
          3. Prostate infections can raise PSA levels
          4. Ejaculation can raise levels. Some doctors recommend you sustain from sexual activity for 2 days prior to lab testing
          5. Bicycle riding may raise levels (due to seat pressure on the prostate)
          6. Urologic procedures (even a digital rectal exam may raise the level slightly)
          7. Medications such as testosterone or other hormones may cause a rise in PSA
          6 factors can lower PSA levels (which could potentially mask PSA elevations):
          1. Herbal mixtures (but not saw palmetto): review supplements with your care provider
          2. Drugs used to treat enlarged prostate glands or treat urinary symptoms such asProscar or Propecia or Avodart. Your doctor may have to adjust the PSA level interpretation values if you are on these medications.
          3. Obesity causes lower PSA levels
          4. Aspirin may lower PSA levels especially in non-smokers
          5. Statin drugs (cholesterol lowering medications like Lipitor, Crestor, etc)
          6. Thiazide diuretics are sometimes called “water pills” (such as hydrochlorothiazide) can lower PSA levels and if taken with a statin drug (#5), may result in even lower PSA levels

2008 Airbag Mega Monty
          Heli Bars

Doesn't the ole adage, "If you don't use it, you will loose it" still apply ?

Originally posted by workhorse View Post
              Don't know if that is true. However, men should know their PSA number, monitor it, when levels increase find out why and take appropriate steps when necessary.

Originally posted by workhorse View Post
                Trust me... You don't want to loosen it; the prostate is not meant to rattle around in there.

On a side note, I went to my doc's last week for a checkup. He told me I am overweight. I told him I want a second opinion. He told me, "OK, you're ugly, too."

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page