• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Michigan mini-metropolis will put driverless cars through their paces

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...ot-pedestrians

Hipster doofus utopia.

What could go wrong with this idea?

Great, maybe they'll run over the people texting aimlessly and maybe get a few other for good measure...... this should work out well...
    Retired, Lifetime NRA, IBA #5831, AMA Lifer, HOG Lifer, Gypsy Tour Rider

"There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Originally posted by Solidbob View Post
      Great, maybe they'll run over the people texting aimlessly and maybe get a few other for good measure...... this should work out well...
      I hope someone grabs a video of that.

What happens when one of these ridiculous 'cars' blows a fuse and breaks down? Will the other bot 'cars' go around it? Traffic jams for miles??

I think this illustrates what I have been saying for decades. The people running these big companies, and government for that matter, just are not real bright. There seems to me less smart people in the world than 30 years ago. Educated, perhaps, but functionally stupid. I saw a Mercedes commercial the other day showing one of their new models designed to swerve out of the way automatically to avoid an accident. How does technology like this get past their legal department? The first time a Mercedes swerves to avoid an accident and hits a child, the parents will own Mercedes.

Technology is making all of us less safe, especially those of us who ride on two wheels. Cars equipped with lane-change or blind-spot warnings are great, but people who own them become dependent on the technology, which in and of itself is not perfect. My SO backed her Mom's car into a pole the other day. I suspect it is because our new Lexus has a backup camera and sensors that sound an alarm when you are about to hit something. Her Mom's 9-year old Mercury, does not. I am convinced, she was waiting for an alarm that never came.

Technology makes people more stupid, not more capable. And, technology in the hands of a stupid person is useless at best and dangerous at worse.

Technology has also slowed progress, or at least, has not advanced it. There is a commercial running right now talking about how the Google cloud allows medical researchers to model 100 cancer "G-nomes" (don't know how to spell it) an hour whereas it used to take days to do just one. Really? Then where is the cure? With all this knowledge and all this technology, wouldn't you think medical treatments would have advanced more in the past 30 years? Yet, many treatments and diagnosis techniques have not changed in my lifetime. When I go to the doctor, he still has to shove his finger up my butt. That's the best we can do?

They designed and built the first Boeing 747 in under 2 years, with slide rules and draftsmen. NO computer models. With the aid of computers, they were able to design and build the first 787 in about 10 years. Just look at car styles in the 50s. The detail, the chrome, the complex body shapes, and the designs changed every year. They could not do that today if they tried.

All of this super technology is claimed to increase productivity, but I don't see it.
        GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
        Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

So when was man most functionally smart?? I doubt we started to go downhill after the Neanderthals...lol

Don't underestimate how much government regs, fuel efficiency, integrating new technology, etc impacts the complexity of products. Cars for example don't need much maintenance, but last much longer. The Kenworth I drive today is a better truck by far than the trucks I drove in the early 70's.
          Smart phones, laptop, GPS, and electronic logs help me make more money, and save me time and or miles.

INSIDE EVERY LIBERAL & RINO® IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT

Originally posted by alphadog View Post
            So when was man most functionally smart?? I doubt we started to go downhill after the Neanderthals...lol

Don't underestimate how much government regs, fuel efficiency, integrating new technology, etc impacts the complexity of products. Cars for example don't need much maintenance, but last much longer. The Kenworth I drive today is a better truck by far than the trucks I drove in the early 70's.
            Smart phones, laptop, GPS, and electronic logs help me make more money, and save me time and or miles.

But Dog you don't have you head up your butt driving.... it does take a little multi tasking sometimes... I don't call Texting while on Cruise drinking your 64 ozer and eating that big mac while looking at your I Pad... Truckers are at their job..... these other fools don't know where they are!!!
            Retired, Lifetime NRA, IBA #5831, AMA Lifer, HOG Lifer, Gypsy Tour Rider

"There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page