Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not everyone "get's it."

I've enjoyed being a member of the Goldwing Community for almost 10 years now. I've had the pleasure of meeting some great people...........and of course just a couple of.....well, you know. Thinking about it, I'm sure I am on that "you know" list as well for some. LOL. What has impressed me the most is the willingness of many to go that extra mile for someone they have never met, don't know, and only have the bike as the common denominator. It amazes me to see trailers picked up and relayed across the country. Tools being shipped to help a rider out, homes being opened to complete strangers and all with positive results. But, there is still that "you know" crowd. Recently I had the "pleasure" of being reminded of that.

Not sure what it is about Florida and this Red Head, but she sure seems to get herself all worked up when down here. It was just a few months ago that she got herself all worked up and threw an ADG hissy fit. Not being sure, at the time, what all the racket was about, I started making some calls to those who I thought might be able to help. After all, it was just the Red Head and me, and 1,100 miles between us, and my tools. One of my first calls was to a "local" Florida guy who routinely purports themselves to being the official Honda Manual repair guy. I was not sure, at the time, that it was not a transmission problem, thus I made the call. I found myself thinking that maybe I really should sign on to what he and Mod 2 were/are pushing and start smoking so as to try and figure out what he was saying. I went from asking about what the sound could be, to getting a complete break down of what it was going to cos, according to the Honda Manual of course, to "pull the engine and crack the case." $3000 plus if it was the ADG............than another $5000 plus as there would be a need to "CRACK THE CASE" to look for parts of the ADG that broke off. Than of course there would be untold dollars to remove parts due the Red Head being a trike. By the time the call was finished I was not sure what would cost more. New legs to walk home, or repairing the trike.

Well, needless to say I made a couple more calls. I spoke with some great friends and true experts, like Fred Harmon, Rocky, Dan from Motovation Cycles, and Bart. Each were quick to make the same diagnosis, over the phone, and declare that it was the ADG. Each said that while the noise would be a bit unnerving,and explained what "it" was, they indicated that it would go away once I exceeded 1000 RPMS, and the best part..........I could ride it home. I took their counsel. While working with some great people at Leola Trikes, I was able to get the dreaded failed ADG replaced for FAR less along with a bunch of other work.

So, I'm enjoying some wonderful riding weather and ready to shift into 4th, about 8 miles from where I am staying, when I get the dreaded "NOTHING." Ughhhhhhh, what is this Red Head up to now. Well, I pull into a gas station real quick and figured I would reach down and put the trike in 2nd and limp back home. "WHAT THE........." The shifter arm is completely limp. Nothing.......NADA. So, I now limp back home in 3rd. Talk about a chore.

I start what has now become something I can do in my sleep. Take her apart. I finally discover what the culprit is to why I can not shift.

It was the dreaded "shifter paw." (Who in the world came up with THAT name. Want to know how easy it is to find THAT on the OEM microfilm. LOL. Well, this time, I KNOW what the problem is and figure that there might be a good chance that a reputable transmission mechanic might have one, knowing that it would take weeks to order from ANY Honda shop. So, while still laying on the floor taking more things off to get to this, I asked a buddy of mine to call this guy in Zephyhills, FL.. Well, I was in luck. I heard my budy say, "that's great you have two of them." Things were looking up. But alas, all was not going to work. While my buddy listened to an hour of what each piece cost ($125 for just the shifter that you can get for much less) and the crittical need to buy and replace the rubber end on the shifter for another large sum, it was not until the magic of Rocky made the conversation all the more interesting. By now I had sat up and stopped working on the bike and was shaking my head as I heard that there was no way that "he" would sell the parts to me, but instead he had to personally do the install, and I had to take the trike to him, so that he could take pictures of my "Rocky short shifter," which was the route of all evils. This was strike two, and there will not be a third strike. I would have paid the price, plus shipping. What a hoot.

So off I go to Ebay and find one which was off an '04' too boot. I buy it. But, it would be about a week before I got it. So, I made a couple calls and left a message to a local guy who had welded my wheelchair...........which broke while down on FLORIDA.....and also called Rocky, knowing he and Dan work with these things. I get Rocky on the phone and without hesitation he is ready to overnight me one. He also shares with me that on the '12" they were made out of steel, which is good to know.

As it turns out, the guy who fixed my chair was still in the area and was able to do a nice job.

I went with the short shifter after I first got the Red Head not knowing at the time why I was having so much trouble with shifting and being willing to do just about anything to fix it. My thoughts, at the time, were that if I took the 'slop" out of the shifting, it would help. Well, after months, it all came down to some bad wiring that had caused the problem to begin with. This electric shifter has no mercy. It pounds down and yanks up with a great deal of force, so I understand why the part failed, given the "extra" whole that was drilled in it and the pounding this part takes from my shifter, as compared to "you people" with those things you call feet. LOL

I share this hear for a couple reasons. One, is that for those who struggle with their electric shifters, understand that it can be many things that contribute to problems and one must be diligent in ruling all things out. The other is that stay far, Far, FAR away from Red Heads. The last would be to ask for directions to AZ since Florida appears to be really hard for my trike to take.

I have nothing against the guy from Zephyhills, but will also have nothing to do with him.

__________________________________________________ __________

Why sweat the leg thing when I can still ride a Goldwing
    Member of the Hann-Amigo Trio

Glad you were able to correct it on the road so to speak. Is the broken one made of aluminum? If so, fail.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Originally posted by Z-Man View Post
      Glad you were able to correct it on the road so to speak. Is the broken one made of aluminum? If so, fail.

Yes, it's the OEM part. Once the dust settles, I will order one of the 2012's which are made of steel now, and add it to the mix of things that I carry with me. In just a few short weeks I should be able to completely rebuild a Goldwing from the ground up from out of my trunk. Unless, of course, I get out of Florida. Thanks.

I could see how the electric shifter could play hell on that aluminum lever.
        I'm glad you were able to get back on the road once you found a person willing to help.

I'm not much of a mechanic so I can not comment on that part. But I just decided that I am going to head to the Rogers Ride In by way of Key West Fl,....now you got me nervous!

Sounds like the Red Head does not like flat, flat Florida.

Bet she would love to visit the red hills & canyons of Utah.

I do believe the guy from Zephyhills...is a total nut job...

John
              John - Richmond 2013 GL1800, Level 3

Keep in mind if you get out West here too far.. the Rocky Rule applies.

Change tires? Top shelter has to come off.

Brake work? Top shelter has to come off

Adjust the windshield? Top Shelter has to come off

Any work on the seat? Top Shelter has to come off.

Just sayin.
                2013 Red Airbag 1800

Originally posted by Tony in AZ View Post
                  Keep in mind if you get out West here too far.. the Rocky Rule applies.

Change tires? Top shelter has to come off.

Brake work? Top shelter has to come off

Adjust the windshield? Top Shelter has to come off

Any work on the seat? Top Shelter has to come off.

Just sayin.

I think the Red Head and I will fit right in. Heck, it's to the point that when I get gas I take the top shelter off just in case. LOL.

CAC, you might be well served to stay very clear of anywhere this Red Head travels as it has to be something in the water.........or gas........or, well................LOL But, if you come by here, rest assured that I have almost every extra part, between the first bike and this one, on hand now so I got you covered. LOL

John, I most certainly look forward to getting out that way. I so enjoyed that area while attending Rockies Gold. On the plus side, if anything happens, there is a good chance I can coast down the mountain. But, then again, it would be my luck.............

Jim...you didn't start of your story with the time worn phase "I'm here to tell you this is no b.s.!", so every bit of it must be truth...

Glad to read this worked out okay for ya.
                    Ken (IBA #50030) & Grace (IBA #62768)Tucson, AZ"Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕMy blog

Originally posted by kwthom View Post
                      Jim...you didn't start of your story with the time worn phase "I'm here to tell you this is no b.s.!", so every bit of it must be truth...

Glad to read this worked out okay for ya.

Ken, as with all of my stories, this too is a "True Story," but sadly there are parts of it that I would have preferred to not be so true and SO very telling. I think I need to get the Red Head out your way next winter as Florida does not seem to agree with her very well. LOL.

Originally posted by Wheels View Post

Ken, as with all of my stories, this too is a "True Story," but sadly there are parts of it that I would have preferred to not be so true and SO very telling. I think I need to get the Red Head out your way next winter as Florida does not seem to agree with her very well. LOL.
                        But what else could happen or Go Wrong here in Fla.? Should I remind you that you didn't stop by on your way to Daytona
                        Jack & Jolene on a GL1800/Champion Trike out of Silver Springs, FL.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page