Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have often wondered why WE don't do this - - - -

This seems more than a logical method to reduce the level of terrorism in the world. Why the US, Europe, Japan, China (they probably do!), etc., don't do this is beyond me:
    http://money.cnn.com/2014/12/31/tech...isis-websites/

Joe T.

I guess you haven't heard of this little document we have called the Constitution...

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

I think Dyennie is partially on target. We can argue about the merits of such a decision considering we are talking about giving our constitutional rights to those trying to do great harm to us. But, I think a value judgement has been made somewhere concerning potential intel gained vs. free and open comms of an enemy. Just something extra to consider.

Sites outside of the US are not protected by our constitution, but I think Buckwing is on target. I suspect we get more benefit (through intel) than they do.
        2012 Honda Goldwing | 2009 Timeout Camper

Patriot Guard Rider since 2007 | IBA member #59823

Originally posted by dyennie View Post
          I guess you haven't heard of this little document we have called the Constitution...

Aren't these websites spewing HATE? Isn't spreading HATE illegal in America?

Joe T.

Originally posted by Joe T. View Post

Aren't these websites spewing HATE? Isn't spreading HATE illegal in America?

Joe T.
            No. If it were, Al Sharpton would be in jail.
            Costa Mesa, CA
            2012 RED GL1800

You cannot have freedoms of speech, religion, and the others found in the Bill of Rights and then decide to selectively control certain things. The Supreme Court has dealt with this numerous times and with the exception of yelling "fire" in a place like a theater the Court has been very negative to limiting those freedoms. No question that at times it seems to be against our best interests, but that is necessary to protect our system.
              Harvey
              Ride Safe and Ride Often

Originally posted by harvey View Post
                You cannot have freedoms of speech, religion, and the others found in the Bill of Rights and then decide to selectively control certain things. The Supreme Court has dealt with this numerous times and with the exception of yelling "fire" in a place like a theater the Court has been very negative to limiting those freedoms. No question that at times it seems to be against our best interests, but that is necessary to protect our system.
                I'll say again, our constitution pertains to our country. I would pretty strongly suspect that a system outside of the US is not afforded the same constitutional rights as a system within the united states. The server is the device that contains the "speech", and would be subject to that country's constitution, not ours.

On the other hand, we are free to restrict what comes in from that country. I daresay that restriction would apply to digital media just as much as it does physical movement. It's a new area of consideration, but think of it this way - a package sent from a foreign country is subject to inspection and search, because it's an import. It would seem that the same would apply to digital content from a foreign country.

Our founders never envisioned this type of "import", but I doubt that they intended to our constitutional freedoms to apply to foreign imports.
                2012 Honda Goldwing | 2009 Timeout Camper

Patriot Guard Rider since 2007 | IBA member #59823

• dyennie
                  dyennie commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Did you look at the list of sites that were restricted in that article??? If so you would have been able to spot only 3 out of 32 that were not US websites.

• hparsons
                  hparsons commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You missed the point. The sites listed were sites blocked by India, that were not IN India; then the question posed was "Why we don't do this". I would assume that the discussion would be about sites outside of the US that are considered terrorist/hate sites against the US.

• dyennie
                  dyennie commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I guess you missed my point. Only 3 out of the 32 that India blocked were not US sites. So I asked myself, is the US the hotbed of hate toward India or is this an example of where web sites are hosted? Since I don't know anyone that hates India nor have I seen any rally, protest or Indian flags on fire in the streets I came to the informal conclusion that the US must be where these web sites are hosted (My opinion would be because of our free speech laws). I then applied the same logic I used above, and I may be wrong, to the situation you posed and come to the conclusion that we would most likely find that most web sites that spew hate toward the US would come from the US.

Please STOP the insanity and nonsense.

Let me be clear, very clear, leaving no room for question. I am all for our rights protected by our constitution. I've sworn an oath to protect our constitution (with my life no less). I've read it thoroughly numerous times. I think I have a better than average understanding of our constitution and the rights granted through it. I absolutely understand the first amendment and the problems it can cause. And I still, without question support it.

But, there can be no doubt on this issue. Our constitution guarantees rights to our citizens. PERIOD! While we generally treat non citizens as is our custom, foreign criminals would be granted the same due proces as you or I. But, these rights do not transfer to our enemies during wartime. Let's not split any hairs and confuse this issue by claiming we're not at war. When others pick up arms against you - you're at war the instant you employ armed force against them to protect your way of life. If we are honest with ourselves, despite all the effort to claim otherwise, we are at war with ISIS or ISIL or exteme Islam, what ever the nom de jour may be. Terrorism is assymetric warfare, but it's still warfare. OUR ENEMIES DO NOT GET OUR CONSTITUTIONAL PROTECTION! What they should get is our tireless and determined effort to erase them from this world. PERIOD.

I think I've expressed myself pretty clearly. All I ask of you who are thinking we allow our enemies the same protections guarenteed by our constitution, please think that over for a couple sober minutes. While you contemplate that question, I want you to remember every Cross and Star of David you've ever seen in our national cemetaries.

• dyennie
                  dyennie commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wow you were clear and thank you for pointing out your better than average understanding of our Constitution. I do wish you had the same understanding of when the word "constitution" gets capitalized. It is kinda insulting to me (active duty Navy) when someone does not put a capital c when referring to the specific founding document, a proper noun, Constitution.

But to a more important point, I don't think anyone in this thread wants to extend our constitutional (yes it is lowercase, that's an adjective) rights to those outside of our borders.

Any way of applying sanctions and or embargoes? Seems to have some effect in other areas of foreign relations.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page