Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm trying to figure out the scam

I put an antique wood stove with all the nickel plate on my local Craig's list today. I received a text message asking if it was still for sale and I replied yes. Then I get another text saying the price and condition are okay and wanted my name and address to send a check. Now he made a point to say no PO box, and he would arrange pickup after the check cleared. I looked closely at the area code and it was 256 (Alabama). Now I am in California and my red flag scam warning went up. I did not respond again. Fast forward a couple hours and I get another text from area code 914 (New York) almost identical, never responded to that one. They did not ask for any bank info just name and physical address. Not having the mind of a crook, what are they up to? I know they are trying to steal my money, I just don't know how.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ken
    ..........Central California.........'03 1800 Durango red, the fastest color

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it".......Mark Twain

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity."........ Abraham Lincoln

SCAMMER is what I see written all over it. Better safe than sorry. Besides, shipping for that would be very pricey. Something just doesn't seem right to me.
    The Marketplace: Click Here For My Marketplace Section

CUSTOM EMBROIDERY- GET IT YOUR WAY!
    Stone Front DSI#1197 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55/16 @ 32 PSI

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

They will send you a cashiers check for more than you are asking. Then they will ask you to send the overpayment back to you. The problem is that the cashiers check they send to you is bogus, but you will not know that until you have already sent them the overpayment. Always, when doubt,........don't.
      www.TrikeTravelers.com

Just reply CASH only to be paid at pickup along with proper identification and that you will use a counterfeit pen to check the cash as well.

Which I do even when I pick up cash at the bank. I caught two different bad $100 bills at the bank using a pen in front of the teller.

I also put cash only in my CL add when selling something along with no trades. Helps keep scammers away,
        2006 Titanium Level 3 'Wing with a few 'farkles. From Mesa, Az.
        My avatar is me from a recent summer ride in the Phoenix Az area:"Its a dry heat"

Glad you did not get scammed ...

John
          John - Richmond 2013 GL1800, Level 3

Originally posted by azsandrider View Post
            J

Which I don even when I pck up cash at the bank. Caught two different bad $100 bills at the bank using a pen in front of the tellar.
            I thought I was the only one who did that
            GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
            Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

Anyone asking for home address on CL also makes me nervous. Items I have sold on CL have been transacted at a Walmart parking lot with lots of people around and a .45 in my coat.

Meeting somebody at Walmart to buy something on CL makes me nervous. lol

If they don't want to make the transaction at home makes me wonder if there is a problem with the item they are selling.

I always get ID when I'm buying as well, especially if not at the home address. That way I have the info if the item turns out to be stolen to give to the police.

I do bills of sale as well.
                2006 Titanium Level 3 'Wing with a few 'farkles. From Mesa, Az.
                My avatar is me from a recent summer ride in the Phoenix Az area:"Its a dry heat"

Great info. guys, I just learned a lot. It's very tough trying to think like a criminal when I am so d_mn honest........
                  '12 GL1800 Level 4 & '08 FLHX Darksider #1378

Originally posted by flyerq68 View Post
                    I put an antique wood stove with all the nickel plate on my local Craig's list today. I received a text message asking if it was still for sale and I replied yes. Then I get another text saying the price and condition are okay and wanted my name and address to send a check. Now he made a point to say no PO box, and he would arrange pickup after the check cleared. I looked closely at the area code and it was 256 (Alabama). Now I am in California and my red flag scam warning went up. I did not respond again. Fast forward a couple hours and I get another text from area code 914 (New York) almost identical, never responded to that one. They did not ask for any bank info just name and physical address. Not having the mind of a crook, what are they up to? I know they are trying to steal my money, I just don't know how.
                    Cash sale, local only, pick-up in person should stop scammers.
                    "I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for few public officials." (George Mason, 3 Elliot, Debates at 425-426)

Originally posted by remphoto View Post
                      Anyone asking for home address on CL also makes me nervous. Items I have sold on CL have been transacted at a Walmart parking lot with lots of people around and a .45 in my coat.
                      One would think that you don't trust some to either rob you or later come back to the house to burglarize it. Just kidding. Precautions in this day and age are paramount.
                      "I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for few public officials." (George Mason, 3 Elliot, Debates at 425-426)

Keep in mind, most scams start off promising one thing, then switching to another. I can easily see someone saying "I'll buy this and send you a check, when the check clears, ship it to me", and that turning into a cashier's check for over the amount (as was described in an earlier post). What they depend on is that the person selling is so excited about the "overage", that they act quickly, only to have the bank contact them days later, and the check was bogus.
                        2012 Honda Goldwing | 2009 Timeout Camper

Patriot Guard Rider since 2007 | IBA member #59823

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page