Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California gun laws/advise

We have been spending more time in SoCal this year & may continue thru the winter, one of my activities is hiking, & to stay in shape I walk every morning/evening. MN does not have a CC law, MN has a "Carry" law, once you have a permit you can carry any way you want!!, I always carried concealed, but like the idea of the option. Now I do my hiking in CA, my daily walk takes me through different landscapes, desert, rock, canyons, etc. So far I am enjoying the change of scenery, In Mn. I always had a small revolver in my pocket, or if hiking in the woods (which I did frequently) a large revolver on my hip). Well, CA is, as most know not real gun friendly (I have to plead ignorance, I need to study the law more). On my walk yesterday I noticed two coyote's were keeping pace as my dog & I were hiking, I would guess at a distance 75 yards, they would stop when I did, and continued when we did, the one yote disappeared, but the other continued to follow for about a mile, up until this time I had not really worried about carrying a firearm, I felt alittle uncomfortable without, but just didn't think about it. but yesterday my thoughts turned to Rabies & coyotes, & I also am certain the mountains house some cats. my concern is should I carry without a permit?, although our place is technically in a city limit, we are several miles from town, & do have small acreage. In the past carrying without a permit was never an issue, Now of course I am older & wiser (that is debatable) I am not sure it is a good Idea. If there are any CA gun owners on the forum would you care to comment? I know it is somewhat unfair & that I should do my own research, (which I will) but would appreciate any advise, such as could I get a small game hunting license & be covered, is getting a permit as difficult as one is lead to believe? sorry for the long post, & will appreciate any response

Your question Can be answered easily by Joining the NRA if you are not already a member or just visit the NRA web site for a complete breakdown of every states current Gun laws.

Far better to have it and not need it -than not have it and need it - However in commie fornia you will be a criminal should you be found out
    Whoever said money can’t buy happiness, never paid for a divorce

IBA # 40576

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

I can tell you that commiefornia does not honor permits from ANY state. I suppose that figures.
      2007 Crucible Orange Metallic
      2009 Kawasaki Red Concours 14
      AMA Life Member 0672853
      IBA Member 8846 Premier
      NRA Life Member

Originally posted by orangecrate View Post
        I can tell you tha commiefornia does not honor permits from ANY state. I suppose that figures.
        If you are a resident of California, you should be able to apply for a concealed carry permit. Some counties have begun to be 'shall issue' instead of 'may issue'. Orange County is one of them. That's your best option. Also, open carry is no longer allowed in California. I would suggest contacting your local authorities and find out what options you have. It sounds like you have a valid concern for your safety.

There isn't really a good option for you. You might consider mace as an alternative, and/or a stun gun.
        Costa Mesa, CA
        2012 RED GL1800

I say carry the small one and not get in trouble with it. That is my MO. I could care less about the stupid laws in this state. If I feel the need to protect myself or my family I will do so and deal with anything later if needed. This state is a bunch of mambie pambies for what it is worth.
          Dave - High up in Arizona - Black Metallic 2019 DCT

Glarson3 has some great points, it is legal to carry non-lethal forms of protection however, carrying concealed without a permit is a risk. You would have to decide if it is a risk worth taking given where you plan to carry. A Sheriff will not issue a permit unless your primary residence is in the county.

Obtaining a permit is a long and arduous process but is doable. In the end, you would need to weigh the risks. As the old saying goes, "better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6".
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Ken
            ..........Central California.........'03 1800 Durango red, the fastest color

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it".......Mark Twain

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity."........ Abraham Lincoln

There is no length limit on fixed blade knives , just can't be concealed..

That and bear spray..

Originally posted by msnden View Post
                We have been spending more time in SoCal this year & may continue thru the winter, one of my activities is hiking, & to stay in shape I walk every morning/evening. MN does not have a CC law, MN has a "Carry" law, once you have a permit you can carry any way you want!!, I always carried concealed, but like the idea of the option. Now I do my hiking in CA, my daily walk takes me through different landscapes, desert, rock, canyons, etc. So far I am enjoying the change of scenery, In Mn. I always had a small revolver in my pocket, or if hiking in the woods (which I did frequently) a large revolver on my hip). Well, CA is, as most know not real gun friendly (I have to plead ignorance, I need to study the law more). On my walk yesterday I noticed two coyote's were keeping pace as my dog & I were hiking, I would guess at a distance 75 yards, they would stop when I did, and continued when we did, the one yote disappeared, but the other continued to follow for about a mile, up until this time I had not really worried about carrying a firearm, I felt alittle uncomfortable without, but just didn't think about it. but yesterday my thoughts turned to Rabies & coyotes, & I also am certain the mountains house some cats. my concern is should I carry without a permit?, although our place is technically in a city limit, we are several miles from town, & do have small acreage. In the past carrying without a permit was never an issue, Now of course I am older & wiser (that is debatable) I am not sure it is a good Idea. If there are any CA gun owners on the forum would you care to comment? I know it is somewhat unfair & that I should do my own research, (which I will) but would appreciate any advise, such as could I get a small game hunting license & be covered, is getting a permit as difficult as one is lead to believe? sorry for the long post, & will appreciate any response
                Obtain the permit and carry legally and that is one less issue to deal with later if you have to use the firearm. Aside from defending yourself and man's best friend, you could get stop by LE and then how do you explain carrying with no permit when off your property? You may run into a not so understanding officer, lose the gun and go to jail.
                "I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for few public officials." (George Mason, 3 Elliot, Debates at 425-426)

Originally posted by glarson3 View Post

If you are a resident of California, you should be able to apply for a concealed carry permit. Some counties have begun to be 'shall issue' instead of 'may issue'. Orange County is one of them. That's your best option. Also, open carry is no longer allowed in California. I would suggest contacting your local authorities and find out what options you have. It sounds like you have a valid concern for your safety.

There isn't really a good option for you. You might consider mace as an alternative, and/or a stun gun.
                  I know that, but he was asking about his MN permit, wasn't he. He may have a difficult time proving he is a "resident" of commiefornia.

2007 Crucible Orange Metallic
                  2009 Kawasaki Red Concours 14
                  AMA Life Member 0672853
                  IBA Member 8846 Premier
                  NRA Life Member

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page