Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uniden R1 Does it again!

There's this 20-odd mile long, straight-as-an-arrow, rural road west of my metropolitan area. Here, if you're marginally interested: https://goo.gl/maps/FoapHcrLEUxMKZAU7

Many homes/small ranches and a small sliver of National Park on the length of this road; a couple of decent diners at either end of the road that are nice to ride to for breakfast - especially in the heat of summer.

On a leisurely ride yesterday morning after breakfast, I'm riding northbound from AZ-86 when my R1 starts chirping at me with Ka band emission.

"Huh? Out here?"

Now, this area is typically patrolled by the sheriffs office. They *do* have mostly Ka, and a few K units still floating around. At this time of day (9 AM on a Sunday...), they're not normally 'out and about'. Spider sense is now engaged.

Road is posted at 50, so PSL+15 is pushing it about as far as one might sensibly dare. The R1 isn't quieting down (thinking at first it could have been an off-axis emitter from the state highway I just turned off of...), so I back down to PSL +5.

Signal was a bit erratic at first, but by the time I knew it was dead-ahead of me, I could see headlights approaching - but not continuously.

As we passed, it was easily 60 seconds from first sniff to eyeball confirmation that it was an AZ state trooper with his C/O Ka, who was closely following a smaller sedan. Probably the reason why I had initially a difficult time with getting a confirmed signal. Understand that on my motorcycle, my detector is concealed. I'm only able to hear it, not see it. I recognize and accept the slight loss of range as a result of it always being there.

Sadly, no photos of the event, but the real story was my wife's comment, who was on the motorcycle with me, at the final approach:

"That detector picked up that cop from over a mile away? Wow!"

"I know!"

I suspect he was using this particular road to avoid the metropolitan area and continue patrolling some of the outlying highways (AZ-86, AZ-286) in our area.
    Ken (IBA #50030) & Grace (IBA #62768)Tucson, AZ"Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕMy blog

That is a funny place for him to patrol unless there have been complaints of black GW's setting LSR's out there.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

DPS isn't normally out that way; I think he was just bypassing the municipal area to continue his morning ride around ¡Baja Arizona!

In addition, since I was 2-up, and traffic generally speaking was Sunday-morning-nominal, there wasn't much of a need to push significantly faster than what I was doing.
      Last edited by kwthom; 07-27-2020, 04:56 PM.
      Ken (IBA #50030) & Grace (IBA #62768)Tucson, AZ"Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕMy blog

I have been riding a little in this heat and I have made an observation. Where are all the police units? I have not seen one unit in my last three rides in my area. Highway 17, Yarnell Hill, Highway 87, nothing. They must be following some new directive that I know nothing about. And it has been this way for a couple of months. Strange.
        2001 Goldwing-2013 Ninja 300-1996 Pacific Coast-1994 2003 Super Sherpa
        Life GWRRA & Life AMA member
        Semper Fi

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_072129.png
Views:	43
Size:	5.39 MB
ID:	132424

If the state boys & girls won't do it, still gotta watch for the local units!

Saw this today, as I was awaiting a pickup of a young relative of mine.

I was in the cage up that way about a month ago, and saw next to nothing myself.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page