X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new from old

Hi
    New to this site but not new to the Goldwing owning pleasure of life.I had a gl1100 interstate for 19 yrs.
    I am now going to be the new proud owner of a GL1800 which I will be picking up in PA Wednesday next week. My wife and I are British so would welcome any recommendations on touring. I will read through the threads but would anyone advise a separate GPS. My bike is a 2012 with Navi. I hear it's upgraded.

Ride safe, Ventury

Hello Ventury and welcome to the forum! Pennsylvania has some great touring opportunities, but it is a large state. If you narrow down where you will be, we can give you some better suggestions. I live right across the Delaware river in New Jersey so I know the eastern part of PA better than the western part, but there are great places to go no matter where you'll be. Are you and your wife visiting in the U.S. or do you live here?

As far as the separate GPS question. You'll probably get differing opinions, but I think you'd be happier having an additional stand alone GPS also. The stand alone GPS is easier to program, update and create custom routes with than the factory NAVI unit. And with the stand alone unit you don't have that annoying lockout to deal with, The OEM NAVI is good for getting from point A to point B or to use as a moving map as you ride. I know some owners are perfectly happy with the NAVI unit, but many say they wish they had gotten a Wing without it. Just boils down to personal preference.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Welcome to the site and more importantly, welcome to the USA! Before spending money on a separate GPS, I would play with the one on the bike and see how it meets your needs. I hate to pay for something twice!

Touring is a wide open subject and where to go depends on your interests and time available. If you just want to ride some great roads and enjoy the scenery, I would suggest the Skyline Drive from Front Royal, VA south to the Blue Ridge Parkway south to Cherokee, NC. There is a lot of great riding in that area. You could spend weeks in that area and still not ride all of the fun roads.

If you are into history you might want to visit Philadelphia with Independence Hall, and Valley Forge close by. And of course there is Gettysburg which is certainly on the way to the Skyline Drive. If you are close to York, PA, you might want to visit the Harley Davidson Factory, I understand they still have tours.

I would remiss if I did not talk a little bit about my state of Virginia. A trip to Williamsburg allows you to go to Jamestown, site of the first English settlement in the USA, tour Williamsburg and see how things developed and then go to Yorktown, where we defeated Cornwallis. This area sort of takes you from 1607 to 1781 and you can ride the Colonial Parkway between the sites.

Western VA is full of Civil War battle sites but also has a lot of other history. The American Heritage Museum in Staunton gives you a view of frontier farms as they developed from immigrants of different nationalities. It is hard to believe but at one time that was the frontier. West of there is some great riding going into West VA. Actually the valley that Staunton is in is chock full of interesting things to see, just don't follow I-81. If you take RT 42 south from Staunton to Goshen and then take RT 39 east you will ride through a beautiful valley along the Maury river. Once things level out turn around and follow Rt 39 west to Marlinton, WV for another fun ride.

With so much to see and do, we could offer more help if we knew what you liked, want to see, and where you want to go, and how much time you have. Time is the real limiting factor. I know some will say money but experience has shown me that I can make the money I have work but I am always limited by the time available.
      Harvey
      Ride Safe and Ride Often

Hello Jim, thank you for the welcome. Johnstown is where I am picking the bike up and I have booked in to stay there for a few nights to get my bearings. Laura and I will be flying into New York and getting an Amtrak train so we are looking forward to an 8 hour scenic train trip too. We are British but you live in an incredible country with some incredible sights. We are both 50, children have fled the nest so I plan on doing some on and off touring of the US for 12 months. The first week or two I would just like to get used to riding a new bike and the controls etc so small scale touring, then up to MI and eventually Salt Lake City, via Route 66 and many more places, either in between or after.

I appreciate your points on the factory Navi. I am warming to the idea of a separate stand alone GPS.

First dumb question, probably one of many - for the next month the Johnstown area - relatively wet or relatively dry, I'm driving through it no matter what it is but it's good to have the heads up.

Regards, John

PS: I owned my GL1100 interstate for 19 years, had a 10 year break and now we can't wait to get back to the bullet proof old faithful Honda.

Hello Harvey, thank you for the insightful information. Firstly I am absolutely with you on hating to buy things that just aren't needed so I will have fun exploring the controls on the new bike. To be honest at the moment the switches are akin to Kennedy Space Centre so that's going to be fun. NC sounds really interesting, VA too. Our first plans will be staying local to Johnstown for one week, going up to Michigan and maybe getting onto Route 66. Death Valley would be interesting.

You asked a question that I'm glad you asked because it got me thinking - what exactly to I like? Your country has everything for every taste. I grew up in a small country town in the UK so I think just having a coffee on a street corner in any one of your towns watching the world go by would entertain Laura and myself for days. The historical aspect of America is interesting. Most things are on a scale that we can't comprehend, from your mountains to the lakes. Without sounding dumb, I recall flying across to Chicago, the approach was across one of your great lakes. That lake was so big I thought it was an ocean and I was looking at New York.

Big bussley cities are okay but I think some of your fantastic roads which go off into the horizon or through some incredible forests would be better. I'm a working class proud plumber so staying at little B&B's will suit me just fine.

Thank you for the warm welcome.

Regards, John

John,
            I looked up the historical weather averages for Johnstown and it looks like it's relatively wet. The average monthly rainfall for both August and September is 4 inches. I'm not familiar with the Johnstown area, so some of the locals will have to give you some touring suggestions. Sounds like you and your wife have some wonderful touring ahead of you. Check in with the forum every once in a while to let us know where you are. Our members do a lot of touring and know a lot of things to see and do and where the best eating establishments are for any area of the Country.The U.S. has some fantastic and diverse scenery and culture for you to explore. I hope you and Laura have a great and safe trip.

Thanks Jim
              I will prepare for rain,the wet foggy rock I call home (UK) is dry at this time
              I'am seeing a mass of great information from good folk here so it will make good reading
              regards
              John

John, Hey don't knock your country! I have had the privilege of riding some around London and up to the Silverstone race track and then up to and around the area of Barrow in Furness. Beautiful area! And we took a trip up into Scotland which was also a beautiful ride. My wife had her first experience with "filtering" on that trip. The biggest problem was you guys ride on the wrong side of the road and adjusting to roundabouts. We are now starting to see more roundabouts on our highways as the engineers look for ways to improve traffic flow.

Make sure as you plan your trips that you carefully read the scale on maps to insure that you are calculating mileages correctly. It may look like a short hop but can easily be an all day ride. And don't expect drivers or riders here to be as good as they are in the UK. Your training program for motorcyclists is very superior to ours not to mention a lot more costly. Just remember to ride on the correct side of the road over here!

This time of year we see more thunderstorms than all day rain even in Johnstown, PA.

Don't know where you are headed in Michigan but I highly recommend riding up the west coast and going through the little towns of Petosky, Luddington, Traverse City and so forth. Wonderful old homes and architecture. If you get far enough north, go over the Mackinac Bridge, but visit Mackinac Island first. Great place to sit and watch people. Also, Michigan is the only state I am aware of where you can really "go to Hell" as it is a town in MI. As I recall is was somewhere between Lansing and Ann Arbor.

Have a great trip and if I can be of any help feel freee to email me at: [email protected]
                Harvey
                Ride Safe and Ride Often

Harvey,you have made myself and my wife laugh,,Roundabouts the wrong way in the U.S.A will be trying to say the least.
                  Valid point regarding the scale,a four hour drive from my Home in Bath will have you on the edge of Britain .I'am pleased you saw some of the countryside during your stay here.
                  I have good friends who are connected to M.I universities in Ann Arbour (him and his good lady are professor/principle) so"Going to hell" is now on the list
                  Thanks for all your helpful info,,,one last question if I may,In the UK there is no prejudice to what make of motorcycle you are riding,all are equal ,all motorcycles big or small are acknowledged,helped,or just a "Hi ride safe" Is this generally the case in the U,S,A
                  regards
                  John

Originally posted by Ventury View Post
                    ...one last question if I may,In the UK there is no prejudice to what make of motorcycle you are riding,all are equal ,all motorcycles big or small are acknowledged,helped,or just a "Hi ride safe" Is this generally the case in the U,S,A
                    regards
                    John
                    John,
                    As a general rule all motorcycles are pretty much equal here in the States. I say "pretty much" because, as you know, there are exceptions to any rule. Surprisingly, in my unscientific research, I have found less Goldwing riders wave back than Harley riders. I don't know if that's a regional thing up here in the Northeastern states or not. Almost without exception Harley riders wave back, but very few sport bike riders will wave. My wife opines that it's because if they take a hand off the bars to wave, they'll smack their chin on the gas tank. Lol! I have also found that most all motorcycle riders are likely to stop if you need help. A helmet on the ground is a widely recognized signal that help is needed. You have folks on here that are willing to go out of their way to help out a fellow rider too.

Cheers!

Welcome abroad!
                      2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
                      USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
                      US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
                      2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
                      2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

John
                        Welcome to both you and Laura and congrats on jumping back into the GoldWing family. The both of you may have a hard time getting that silly grin off your face once you start riding the new Wing. A word of caution about Death Valley. Summertime temps can be unbearable as it's not unusual for the temps to reach 115-120 and sometimes higher in the summer months.. Their is a group of forum members that meet in Beatty NV (outside DV) in Feb. every year on Presidents Weekend and most of us make a 3 day event on that weekend with rides into DV, a tour of Scottys Castle, visiting with old friends, etc. I believe this Feb will be year #10 and folks come from as far away as Tenn. weather permitting. As this year winds down you will start to see all the posts about the event on the forum. Whatever direction you decide to go have a safe and enjoyable time.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
                        Jimi Hendrix
                        Vietnam Veteran, Patriot Guard Rider

Hi RoadRat
                          Thankyou for the warm welcome and wise words....the Feb meet up is something I would very much like to join,As of yet I have very little time table apart from getting to my new purchase,I think route 66 but a detour as the trip unravels,or a complete change of plan as long as we enjoy the pace,scenery and the chance meeting of good folk.Thats the main objective

I am sure the difference from the fading memories of my dearly loved gl1100,i cherished for 19yrs and the 2012 gl1800 will be great.
                          regards
                          John & Laura

• Stingray
                            Stingray commented
                            Editing a comment
                            To John & Laura, Welcome to America, what an exciting time for you both. Touring across this country on probably the best touring bike made, I'm a little partial, I purchased an 2008 Goldwing in 2013. So much to see, starting with the Skyline drive in Front Royal, Virginia like the gentleman said is a great starting point, what fantastic views. Do you realize John how big this country is ? It doesn't seem so large here in the eastern part, but when you get to the plains of Iowa and Nebraska, the roads seem to go on forever. Have a safe journey and God speed to you both. Stingray

Welcome aboard!! When you get within a couple hundred miles of of Salt Lake City, give me a holler.
                          DS#1146 IBA#55800 50CC,BBG, BB1500 x2, SS2K, SS1Kx3 CERTIFIED ALL DS, PGR RC
                          2010 Level3 Endeavor Reverse Trike

Hi Pooch,thanks,the salt flats are a place I often read about when I was a boy,I think late August but I have a feeling we will deviate often and stay longer in places,
                            ride safe
                            John

I rode through the Salt Flats in August of 2013 on my way back to New Jersey from Washington State. To describe what it was like, "convection oven" comes to mind. I was really glad to have my "Long Distance Comfort" shirt, shorts and helmet liner on that trip. I kept the shirt and helmet liner wet and I felt quite cool in temps of 100°F (38°C). Otherwise I would have been very uncomfortable. If you'll be doing much riding in the Southwest or South during the Summer months you may want to look into getting some LDC gear for yourself and your wife. It's not cheap, but it works as advertised and nothing I have found works better. You will be glad you did.

http://ldcomfort.com/

Thanks Jim
                                The "convector oven" effect will be hard on us,I appreciate the insight ,this will make me timeline the touring to suit what is comfortable or doable for us
                                I get to see the Goldwing in the flesh Tuesday,i will have fun exploring the Buttons,I don't know if there is a power outlet in the front left pocked yet ,,,I don't see ABS,,
                                We are excited,start the journey tomorrow 3,30am tomorrow (UK time)
                                ride safe
                                John

Originally posted by clayusmcret View Post
                                  Welcome abroad!
                                  Thanks Clayusmcret,,a fine site this is
                                  John & Laura

Welcome to the site and enjoy your new Toy. Your in the right forum theres plenty of info and great members to assist here in your travels ride safe and enjoy.
                                    2018 DCT non tour, Pearl Stallion Brown, Double Darksider #856, Live To Ride, Love my Wing, IBA Member# 63744 Yellowbird Alias Coppertone

Hi and thanks Yellowbird
                                      I have just been reading the Sep Colorado ride/meet,,to say that sounds great is an understatement ,,After a week of riding I will know if I can jump up and ask if we can join the Colardo ride,,,running before learning to walk comes to mind lol
                                      regards
                                      John & Laura

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page