Hello Fellow GW riders!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello Fellow GW riders!

New to the site, fairly long term winger. Parents rode Hondas- 750 Four and a 450. I pretty much grew up on the back of a 750 four. My first bike as a kid was a used red SL-70 and spent every spare moment riding around a huge field across from my home fashioned into trails and a track. I still have it today. I restored it a few years ago after years of being abandoned to a shed to new (thanks FleaBay). I eventually sneaked rides on my dad's 750 four with a gal who would become my wife. When the GL1000 came out I lusted after it as a young adult and always admired 1200s and 1500s rolling down the road solo or in groups.

I was driving home from work one day in 1996 and as I was passing our local Honda dealer, I saw an '88 wing for sale used on consignment. I stopped in and sitting on it was all it took. I had that bike for 5 years and we traveled a lot of the western US on it including up into Canada and out through the Canadian rockies out to Victoria Island. That trip I had to strap that bike to the side of a sea ferry to get it down to Port Angles in WA & get back down the coast to our home in northern Ca. I loved that bike and it sealed my fate as a GoldWing rider putting 65k miles on the bike before selling it to a great guy that was a relocated serviceman from Japan back to the states. He picked up that bike and the next morning he rode to Texas and up to I think Michigan. Loved seeing it was going to get used well.

In January 2001 I used my birthday as an excuse to buy one of the first GL1800A's (#127). My wife and I have continued riding and have traveled back through some places I wanted to do again like the rockies and new adventures like Route 66 out as far as Roswell, NM. I ride the bike in a fairly spirited way and can chase down a lot of the local "squids" up on our bay area foothills like Skyline up around Alice's Restaurant.

I ride almost every day but did have some gaps as I didn't have good covered parking for the bike after I changed buildings (try to take good care of the bike). I decided to man up and found a solution so I'm back riding at least weekly. I'm currently trying to figure out how to get the wing into my car trailer as a "pit bike". I instruct and drive a street car at a couple of our local racetracks for a high performance driving group. I may have to settle for putting the SL-70 in the trailer but I'd really not look forward to the pics my buddies would take of me on that tiny bike!

Hope this wasn't too much of a boring read. I'll contribute where I can and look forward to making more riding friends.

Great introduction. Welcome to the family!
    GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
    Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Welcome aboard and thanks for the intro!

A great big WELCOME to you! Glad to have you aboard.

Not boring at all 2001wingrider. Pleased to have you aboard. I like that about giving a kid a bike in a paddock idea, nothing better.
          GL1800 8A - TRIUMPH SCRAMBLER 900

Sounds great- wishing you many more happy miles

Welcome aboard! Your bio indicates you understand it's ALL about the ride.
              2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
              USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
              US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
              2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
              2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

WELCOME to the forum from Ohio. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

IBA #57814
                SaddleSore 1075 Miles in 24 hours (certified)
                BunBurner 1632 Miles in 36 hours (certified)
                Prowler #81
                Double Darksider # 792
                Alaska 2012 / 2014

Welcome from the Canadian contingent too!
                  Florida Prowler #26 -
                  Darksider #933 90,000 miles and counting
                  Keep the shiney side up!

Howdy to you and thanks for sharing. I am a big Fan of Stories, especially True ones.
                    __________________________________________________ __________

Why sweat the leg thing when I can still ride a Goldwing
                    Member of the Hann-Amigo Trio

Welcome to the forum 2001wingrider...enjoyed your intro...now you enjoy the forum

John
                      John - Richmond 2013 GL1800, Level 3

I appreciate all the posts!

Ride safe!

Welcome nice post enjoy
                          2010 Pearl Yellow L3, Double Darksider #856, Ultimate Midrider Seat w Yellow inlays, F4+4 Tinted, Live To Ride, Love my Wing

Originally posted by Mayor Hal View Post
                            Welcome from the Canadian contingent too!
                            We really enjoyed our trip through central & western Canada. I have to confess the Canadian rockies and traveling up to the Columbia Ice Fields from Banff NP really gives the Colorado rockies a real run for the money. Wow on the views. I travel regularly to Toronto for work and chatted with a couple of Wing riders that were parking downtown. I flew up to Toronto with my wife for a work / birthday trip in April for her and we drove down to Niagra Falls. Had a great time.

Hey 2001....... Welcome. Banff to Jasper area is the greatest ... Can't wait to get back there on the Wing!

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page