Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New here from Connecticut

Hi all! I just joined today because I like what I've seen here so far and I need advice. I live in eastern Connecticut and although I am not a Goldwing owner, I soon will be. Right now I own a restored 1988 VT800 that my wife and I love to ride but I've always wanted a Goldwing and I am finally in a position to purchase a new one. Besides, my wife needs something more comfortable to sit on!

I am thinking about purchasing a 2020 Goldwing Tour DCT (no airbag) in red/black, sometime after the 2021's hit the market. Since this will probably the only one I will ever buy new, I want to go all out but I have a few questions about timing and Honda factory accessories that I will post in the proper section (Probably tomorrow).

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself.
    Nightthawk

Hawk. If you are trying to get rid of your wife. Then Torturing her is a good way to go on the new "ST1800". The Seat is like sitting on Concrete.

The only way she will be comfortable is by sitting on your lap. That is when the DCT automatic will be worth its salt.
    (Only kidding-don't let her sit on your lap while riding -Pull over first!)

Don't hold ya breath on 2021 models. Honda isn't shipping any until the US warehouses sell off what they have. (18-20's)

It's mentioned up front, and again at 5:30 in this video

BTW, ya sound like a sick bastard.
    Hi all! I just joined today because I like what I've seen here so far and I need advice
    You'll fit right in here. Quite a few loons (aka Thumb suckers) on this board, that soil themselves real quick like. (Not you-Them silly folks)

To the Board.

Can ya post a pic of that 88 VT800. (I'm one of the guys who appreciate the vintage bikes.)

**You may not like the Truth-But that doesn't change it!**

"Life is Tough-It's tougher when you are stupid"

The Devil whispered "I'm coming for you"!
    I whispered back "Bring Beer"

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Originally posted by Rocky View Post
      Hawk. If you are trying to get rid of your wife. Then Torturing her is a good way to go on the new "ST1800". The Seat is like sitting on Concrete.

The only way she will be comfortable is by sitting on your lap. That is when the DCT automatic will be worth its salt.
      (Only kidding-don't let her sit on your lap while riding -Pull over first!)

Don't hold ya breath on 2021 models. Honda isn't shipping any until the US warehouses sell off what they have. (18-20's)

It's mentioned up front, and again at 5:30 in this video

BTW, ya sound like a sick bastard.
      You'll fit right in here. Quite a few loons (aka Thumb suckers) on this board, that soil themselves real quick like. (Not you-Them silly folks)

To the Board.

Can ya post a pic of that 88 VT800. (I'm one of the guys who appreciate the vintage bikes.)

I sure can.

Nighthawk,

Welcome to the show. I am also a relatively new member who came here seeking insight. I also come here if I start feeling too good about myself and need a good verbal beating. There is a wealth of experience here and quite a bit of sarcasm. So put on your kevlar shorts.

With that said, I have a 2018 Tour non-DCT. I like shifting. I hated the stock seat and sent it away to Wingsoft for retrofitting. The result was ok. It made a bad seat better but not really comfortable. I have since switched to a Corbin and love it. But my riding comfort and yours may not be the same, so I would take my time & research but I would not recommend another version of the stock seat from Honda.

I installed the OEM trunk rack in addition to the rack mounted brake light. The installation was a pain. I like the rack, both the look and functionality, but I would rather have had a different rack mounted light as there are aftermarket lights that will also act as a running light, signal lights, and stop light.

Driving/Fog lights are also a plus but I think the later models come with those already installed.

Anyway, those are my initial comments. I have made quite a few changes but, like anything else, what is comfortable for me may not be comfortable for you and vice versa. So many accessories are subjective.

Good Luck
        A T
        2018 Goldwing Tour

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending."

Rocky, that news about the 2021's sucks! But that is exactly why I joined here. I need the informed opinions and knowlege here before I lay down my hard earned cash.

I have been hearing that about the OEM seat. I've already decided to go the Corbin route. My wife has been a real trooper and has been sitting on the pillion of our VT800 Shadow for years. Her tush deserves something better now! Lol!

BTW, it was Cruiseman's YouTube vids that led me here, but I have only scratched the surface of his channel.
          I made a longer post in the '18-'20 Goldwing section here. I sure dont mind the ball-busting as long as its mixed with good advice I can use! 😂

Thanks for the reply!
          Nightthawk

Wing Rider,
            Thanks for the response and the warning! (I'll search Amazon for a steel codpiece!)

Good advice and worthwhile opinions are what I need right now because I don't want to lay down this kind of cash haphazardly and I thought this would be the place to get that advice. As I already mentioned above, I was totally ready to lay down the extra $1k for Honda's upgraded seat until I read all the bad reviews! I'm now thinking Corbin. My butt has been cradled by Corbin before and I really liked it! Lol!

Your accessory advice is exactly what i am looking for so thanks for it!
            Nightthawk

Originally posted by Nightthawk View Post
              Rocky, that news about the 2021's sucks! But that is exactly why I joined here. I need the informed opinions and knowlege here before I lay down my hard earned cash.

I have been hearing that about the OEM seat. I've already decided to go the Corbin route. My wife has been a real trooper and has been sitting on the pillion of our VT800 Shadow for years. Her tush deserves something better now! Lol!

BTW, it was Cruiseman's YouTube vids that led me here, but I have only scratched the surface of his channel.
              I made a longer post in the '18-'20 Goldwing section here. I sure dont mind the ball-busting as long as its mixed with good advice I can use! 😂

Thanks for the reply!
              Nightthawk
              Lets be honest here. Honda had expected more sales for the new model than what the Economy could bear.

I don't see what Honda is doing other than it being good business sense.

After all this picture tells more of what is going on in the industry. (Sales are down)

Click image for larger version  Name:	222222.jpg Views:	0 Size:	177.0 KB ID:	134504

Not hard to understand why Honda is doing what they are doing.

Ya have to wonder what other brands are suffering "Overstock" issues?

I agree with you on the seat. "It can be changed for a better seat".

I'm old school . I can't believe that after 107 Proto types built since they started R&D in 2006 for the new model. "That this is the Seat they chose?"

I'm running a stock seat on my 1800. no issues after 14 hour days rides on trips.

My point being "Honda knows how to do better, Sadly many are finding out-They fell short on the new models seat! (Good thing for the aftermarket industry)

BTW- Ball busting threads have a lot of views. so its good entertainment as well for some.
              **You may not like the Truth-But that doesn't change it!**

"Life is Tough-It's tougher when you are stupid"

The Devil whispered "I'm coming for you"!
              I whispered back "Bring Beer"

Originally posted by Rocky View Post

Lets be honest here. Honda had expected more sales for the new model than what the Economy could bear.

I don't see what Honda is doing other than it being good business sense.

Not hard to understand why Honda is doing what they are doing.

BTW- Ball busting threads have a lot of views. so its good entertainment as well for some.
                Yeah, it all makes perfect sense, I guess...I just didn't expect it. I was really hoping for new model releases around Thanksgiving. Oh well. If it's true, then there goes any hope of a '21 along with any hope of a "leftover" price drop on the '20. I can wait until after the new year and see what happens but I'm SO itching to get mine built!

As for the ball busting...no problem. My skin is as thick as my head and no one laughs at me more than I laugh at me! I got no problem with it. Besides, when its your turn, I'll be laughing along with everyone else. Lol.

Nightthawk

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page