Hi from Woodstock, Georgia

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hi from Woodstock, Georgia

    I have an 83 GL1100 that needs a motor. It's been sitting in my basement for a while.

    I want to build the world's fastest GL1100 and have never done something like this before ... how do you make a GL1100 go insane speed fast?

  • #2
    Also, how does one find records for Bonneville's AMA Motorcycle Speed Trials for the GL1100 ....are the records grouped by engine size?

    Comment: (For off-topic replies)


    • #3
      Welcome to the forum lots of great info here join in and learn about are Goldwing’s from Stuart Fl. Ride safe Ride A Lot. Get a hold of Rocky he's a expert on the older model wings. but I am sure he will respond to this post.Ride safe Ride A Lot.
      2018 DCT non tour, Pearl Stallion Brown, Double Darksider #856, Live To Ride, Love my Wing, IBA Member# 63744 Yellowbird Alias Coppertone

      Comment: (For off-topic replies)


      • #4
        Thank you. I used to have 3 parts bikes ... all GL1100 ... none of them worked and it took me about 2 years to frankenstein one working bike out of the 3 and I rode it from Atlanta to Phoenix and back. I have since sold/traded the working bike but still have a nearly complete parts bike that needs a "souped up" GL1100 motor.

        And yes, the inspiration for this project is/was Burt Munro. I also have a friend that was the Champ back in the day, her time here on earth is limited and she wants to see me set a record (or at least attempt to) at Bonneville. She raced as Peppermint Patti.

        This is just something that I am in the "thinking about" phase.

        Comment: (For off-topic replies)


        • #5
          https://www.bonnevilleracing.com/rac...acing-project/

          To do any respectable time trials, You are going to need injection. (With a Turbo and or Nitrios)

          If time is a concern.

          Buy a running 1100 And install a Single Carb. on modified manifold, Way easier to re-jet (There are kits available out there)

          They run better than the 4 carb'd models.

          More info here.
          https://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23302

          https://www.goldwingfacts.com/thread...ellent.456810/


          https://thekneeslider.com/randakks-s...gl1000-gl1100/

          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmCnS69QdDw

          **You may not like the Truth-But that doesn't change it!**
          "Life is Tough-It's tougher when you are stupid"
          1981 CB900C -DCT
          1986 GL1200 SEi - DCT
          2004 GL1800 - "Modified Ring & Pinion"

          Comment: (For off-topic replies)


          • #6
            So, I take it you've done some research?

            https://bonnevillespeedtrials.com/rulesclasses/

            https://bonnevillespeedtrials.com/wp...blishV16.1.pdf

            Looks like Production Class, 1350cc is at 203 MPH.

            Gotta get deep into the AMA rulebook for a LOT more of the details...

            https://americanmotorcyclist.com/wp-...lebook20-1.pdf
            Ken (IBA #50030) & Grace (IBA #62768)Tucson, AZ"Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕMy blog

            Comment: (For off-topic replies)


            • #7
              I have done a little bit of research ... yes, but am not thoroughly well versed. I plan on making a trip to Bonneville with a friend in August, even though there will be no races this year. I used to pass by when I was hauling beef in a 53' reefer, but I never was able to get out and explore the area. I will either hammock camp at Graham's Peak, or stay in a motel ... depending on the weather. I will be hauling my bike in a trailer and will have a 4x4. You can't beat the gas prices now ... but that can all change.

              (I have a 2007 Vulcan Nomad 1600, he has a Yamaha MT-07 and we are driving separately)

              Comment: (For off-topic replies)


              • #8
                Originally posted by Rocky View Post
                https://www.bonnevilleracing.com/rac...acing-project/

                To do any respectable time trials, You are going to need injection. (With a Turbo and or Nitrios)

                If time is a concern.

                Buy a running 1100 And install a Single Carb. on modified manifold, Way easier to re-jet (There are kits available out there)

                They run better than the 4 carb'd models.

                More info here.
                https://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23302

                https://www.goldwingfacts.com/thread...ellent.456810/


                https://thekneeslider.com/randakks-s...gl1000-gl1100/

                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmCnS69QdDw
                Thank you for this information

                can a different exhaust enhance speed/performance? I do plan on stripping the bike down to the bare minimum .... less weight

                edit to add: I am wanting to buy a motor, even if it means getting it off a running bike ....the frame I have is in excellent condition, many frames I have inspected on running bikes have developed some rust on the motor mounts and are perilously close to a severe accident waiting to happen ...usually, the rust is found on the under side of the frame, and an easy spot to miss. Also ....weird question .. I know ... but I am a babe in the woods newbie ...do they make roller rockers for the GL1100?

                I am past the "blinker fluid phase"

                Comment: (For off-topic replies)


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Schweisshund View Post

                  Thank you for this information

                  can a different exhaust enhance speed/performance? I do plan on stripping the bike down to the bare minimum .... less weight

                  edit to add: I am wanting to buy a motor, even if it means getting it off a running bike ....the frame I have is in excellent condition, many frames I have inspected on running bikes have developed some rust on the motor mounts and are perilously close to a severe accident waiting to happen ...usually, the rust is found on the under side of the frame, and an easy spot to miss. Also ....weird question .. I know ... but I am a babe in the woods newbie ...do they make roller rockers for the GL1100?

                  I am past the "blinker fluid phase"
                  I just bought a bottle of 90W blinker fluid so I'll wish you a welcome aboard and best of luck with your endeavor! Be sure to post photos of your progress. Those of us who aren't mechanics will try to keep up and while rooting for your success.
                  2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
                  USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
                  US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
                  2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
                  2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

                  50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

                  Comment: (For off-topic replies)


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by clayusmcret View Post

                    I just bought a bottle of 90W blinker fluid so I'll wish you a welcome aboard and best of luck with your endeavor! Be sure to post photos of your progress. Those of us who aren't mechanics will try to keep up and while rooting for your success.
                    Thank you for the vote of confidence and also thank you for your service!!!

                    My Cousin's son is a Yankee White Marine currently guarding the First Family.

                    Comment: (For off-topic replies)


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Schweisshund View Post

                      Thank you for this information

                      can a different exhaust enhance speed/performance? I do plan on stripping the bike down to the bare minimum .... less weight

                      edit to add: I am wanting to buy a motor, even if it means getting it off a running bike ....the frame I have is in excellent condition, many frames I have inspected on running bikes have developed some rust on the motor mounts and are perilously close to a severe accident waiting to happen ...usually, the rust is found on the under side of the frame, and an easy spot to miss. Also ....weird question .. I know ... but I am a babe in the woods newbie ...do they make roller rockers for the GL1100?
                      Exhaust helps the modified engine breath more efficiently. Depending on engine mods?.

                      Drag racing/Top speed runs--I'd have any frame bead blasted and magna fluxed. You can't see hairline cracks under paint. (What is your life worth??)
                      If any cracks are found, Grind out & weld in new beads for strength. (Frame needs to be put in a Jig, so it can't warp!
                      Powder coat to seal the frame after inspection/repair.

                      I have never heard of Rollers available for a 4 cyl Goldwing engine. (That just means I haven't heard of them.)
                      A Good cam shop,can help you in more info.if they can, or know who can build a set of Rollers for a 1100..

                      A good list of reading is below. They might know the Roller answer as well.

                      https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwT...ZNUS1tbW8/view
                      http://wingovations.com/parts/4590129240
                      http://wingovations.com/cams-and-rockers/4579471096
                      https://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28690
                      https://www.partsnmore.com/parts/honda/gl1100/?filters[fitting]=custom&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkoKe8Y3C6QIVXx-tBh3DpQk2EAMYASAAEgKFO_D_BwE

                      Going fast always depends on your time & wallet.
                      **You may not like the Truth-But that doesn't change it!**
                      "Life is Tough-It's tougher when you are stupid"
                      1981 CB900C -DCT
                      1986 GL1200 SEi - DCT
                      2004 GL1800 - "Modified Ring & Pinion"

                      Comment: (For off-topic replies)


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Schweisshund View Post

                        Thank you for the vote of confidence and also thank you for your service!!!

                        My Cousin's son is a Yankee White Marine currently guarding the First Family.
                        Please thank him for his service, both in the general sense and in regard to his current billet. S/F!
                        2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
                        USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
                        US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
                        2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
                        2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

                        50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

                        Comment: (For off-topic replies)

                        Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

                        Related Topics

                        Collapse

                        Working...
                        X