Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings from Central Colorado

Greetings. I am a long time biker (50 years) and I bought a new Wing this last summer (my first full-on touring bike). Got tired of looking at it set idly in the garage and then alternately gazing out the window at the large piles of snow everywhere. So I decided to get into the swing of conversing about motorcycles as a substitute for actually riding them.

A couple of things I wonder about:
    Do riders actually figure out how to make use of the GPS or (like me) do they just use it to tell you where you are?
    Anybody create a saddle bag map so they can put everything in the most economical position and actually get some good use out of the side bags?
    My first bike with a reverse. Any tips on how to use the reverse in a smooth fashion?

Thanks,
    Mike

Welcome aboard! Good questions all. The onboard GPS is the subject of much discussion. Which year Gold Wing do you have? Through 2017 the GPS wasn't good and since 2018 it wasn't as good as the earlier ones. I use a mounted Garmin, but others will need to know for their comments. Can't answer the 2nd one (ref saddle bag maps). And the reverse ust takes some use to get to know it.

Be sure to post pictures of your bike and update the model. I spent 2002-2007 in Colorado Springs; still have a son and his family there. Beautiful country for riding once that snow melts!
    2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
    USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
    US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
    2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
    2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Welcome to the forum, and to your new Goldwing.

As Clay said. you didn't say what year bike you bought.

As for a NAV/GPS Some use it for different reasons, I'm sure you'll decide what its best for what you want it to do.

Some find it useless and add there own GPS that has more user friendly features than the OEM system doesn't allow or have.

Another feature many like is being able when traffic permits, is to make changes/searches to the aftermarket GPS while in motion.

Again. you'll have to be the one who determines what is best for You!!.

Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
      "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".
      Current bikes.
      1981 CB900C 10 speed (Restored)
      1986 GL1200 SEi
      2004 GL1800

Welcome tonedeaf. I’m formerly from FC and rode Colorado for 40 years. Now Florida due to not wanting to put snow tires on the bike.

2018 Goldwing Tour, manual.

GPS: A very pretty picture in a nice frame. Since they “improved” it with the last fix to 99 waypoints, it’s even worse than before, IMHO. If you want to route using BaseCamp (and Babel), Honda Rider, or Harley Rider PC programs, you can. But when the file is transferred to the bike, it recently always reroutes a portion of the trip to its own preference, disregarding some waypoints. That didn’t happen after the first software upgrade. I have tried all I can think of and find and am unable to make it work even close to the way my Garmins have. So I’m throwing in the towel and mounting my Garmin like Clay did. Yes, if you have an iPhone, you can use other mapping programs, but they too have problems allowing you to route to your choice, not their’s. If you just want to put in a destination and go the way it wants, it works fine. But that’s not how I use GPS.

Reverse: Press the button and it starts out slow and then speeds up a bit. Probably good to help you maintain balance if you are on bumpy pavement. I tend to press and hold for a short distance, then release, and repeat until I’m where I want to be. On bumpy and uneven ground be careful that your feet are keeping up with the bike’s movement. The bike can tend to wobble a bit under those circumstances and you may lose control, especially if you are a bit vertically challenged. I really like reverse when I pull straight in to a downhill parking space. The Harley guys get very envious.

Probably more than you wanted to know, but as you said, winter in Colorado and piles of snow, but still thinking of your bike....

I'll take this one...

Originally posted by tonedeaf View Post
          Anybody create a saddle bag map so they can put everything in the most economical position and actually get some good use out of the side bags?<...>
          A what?

No, but I do have a packing list that varies whether I'm 1-up or 2-up.

As long as you can access the bike (while it's still winter...) might be a good thing to do is to try and do some packing to see just how much stuff you think you'll be able to take with you.

You wanna pack really dense? Think about backpacker "stuff sacks" also known as compression bags.
          Ken (IBA #50030) & Grace (IBA #62768)Tucson, AZ"Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕMy blog

Originally posted by kwthom View Post
            I'll take this one...

A what?

No, but I do have a packing list that varies whether I'm 1-up or 2-up.

As long as you can access the bike (while it's still winter...) might be a good thing to do is to try and do some packing to see just how much stuff you think you'll be able to take with you.

You wanna pack really dense? Think about backpacker "stuff sacks" also known as compression bags.
            Sorry, that was a fairly snarky question motivated by how little you can actually get in the side luggage. I did find a fairly nice solution using the luggage rack on the tail truck. I will post pics as soon as I can get the bike out of the garage to take them. Spent the better part of today riding my Honda snowblower (well walking around behind it anyway).

Welcome aboard lots of great info here enjoy
              2018 DCT non tour, Pearl Stallion Brown, Double Darksider #856, Live To Ride, Love my Wing, IBA Member# 63744 Yellowbird Alias Coppertone

Originally posted by tonedeaf View Post
                Sorry, that was a fairly snarky question motivated by how little you can actually get in the side luggage. I did find a fairly nice solution using the luggage rack on the tail truck. I will post pics as soon as I can get the bike out of the garage to take them. Spent the better part of today riding my Honda snowblower (well walking around behind it anyway).
                There are people out there OCD enough to give that idea (saddle bag map) some serious consideration...

So, the reduction of 40 liters (or 14. cu ft - or ~2400 cu in) of capacity simply means really only taking the absolute necessities.

As has been discussed here on this forum - a lot - it was obvious that American Honda felt that the vast majority of those buying this new machine would be able to do more with less - stuff. Consensus to this point seems to be mixed - some like it, some have yet to find the right mix of that stuff.

The same issue happened waaaay back in 2001, when the 1832's came out. I read an estimate that the total luggage capacity of the 1500 was in the 180 liter range; there was never any published specs that I've found.

One might also observe over the decades, the luggage capacity has grown as the bike has. Now that fuel economy is again a (large) factor in the design equation, it's more desirable than ever to limit capacity.
                Ken (IBA #50030) & Grace (IBA #62768)Tucson, AZ"Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕMy blog

Welcome to the Forum lots of great info here enjoy and learn or brush up a bit from Stuart Fl. Ride a Lot Ride Safe.

2018 DCT non tour, Pearl Stallion Brown, Double Darksider #856, Live To Ride, Love my Wing, IBA Member# 63744 Yellowbird Alias Coppertone

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page